Author Topic: Alderbourne Langley Marish  (Read 2129 times)

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alderbourne Langley Marish
« on: Saturday 23 December 17 14:43 GMT (UK) »
In 1891 on his son's marriage certificate it states that Charles Rolison (various ways of spelling this) was a Licensed Publican in the above area. Would any records be available locally to find out which pub he ran please?
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
Re: Alderbourne Langley Marish
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 December 17 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Can we have his date of birth and sons name. Only Charles I can find with limited information is a gamekeeper.

Jennifer :)
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 December 17 15:52 GMT (UK) »
it states that Charles Rolison (various ways of spelling this) was a Licensed Publican in the above area.
regards.

Can you explain how it identifies father's location? It normally identifies groom's location plus father's name and occupation.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 December 17 16:35 GMT (UK) »
This one could be difficult. Only one I could find was the gamekeeper at St Marys on the 1891 Census. St Marys could have been Wexham.

Langley Marish was a huge area. The old map (undated) I found showed Langley Marish South of A4 Slough and north of Eton. However I know it stretched east to Langley and Colnbrook. Northwards it stretched to A40 Gerrards Cross and Denham or nearly. Fulmer seems to have come under it too,

One good thing Rol(l)ison is not a common name. Was he Charles Rollison born 1845 Westley, Cambs, wife Sarah, children Elizabeth and Alice?

My gamekeeper came from Family Search, what it needs for searching are the ones from Ancestry or similar.   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 December 17 17:10 GMT (UK) »
This looks like it. Red Lion, 1, St Mary's Road,Langley SL3 7EN. It's a stones throw from St Mary's church, Langley. So, it looks like the 1891 Census entry on Family Search is the correct one. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline ACT61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 December 17 18:09 GMT (UK) »
That 1891 census is Denham not Wexham. Found this on Alderbourne Manor so not sure about the Red Lion being the pub.
http://www.bucksgardenstrust.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Alderbourne_Manor.pdf

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 December 17 18:39 GMT (UK) »
I passed on from St Marys Wexham to St Mary's Langley. It is imperative to check actual Census on Ancestry, which I don't subscribe to.

Denham parish is St Mary's too just to be awkward. It's miles from Langley (Marish) Slough.

Correct Census first, there must be plenty of peeps with Ancestry. 

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 December 17 19:21 GMT (UK) »
The 1891 census doesn't given an address for Charles Rolison b Westley, beyond New Denham

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 December 17 19:39 GMT (UK) »
You have advanced the search Mabel :) New Denham is separate from Denham Village. Denham Village is north of A40/M40 and New Denham is south and on the west side of Uxbridge. Surprised it existed in 1891. Now to find what pubs there were.