Author Topic: Lookup: Garth baptism records (1797-1820) at Blackwater Presbyterian in Rochdale  (Read 902 times)

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hello,

Would someone be able to look up the baptism records for John Garth and Mary Kershaw's children.  I have the baptism record for George Garth (b. 1799) but I a looking for the rest of the children: Reuben, Mary, Nancy, Ellen, and Julia.  John Garth and Mary Kershaw married in 1797 so I would say the baptisms happened between 1797 and 1820.  Unfortunately, the Blackwater Presbyterian registers are not available on the Online Parish Clerks for the County of Lancashire website.

Thank you,

Liisa
Bennett, Bowling, Braedine/Brodie, Bulmer, Burns, Cochrane, Devlin, Ellis, Garth, Henderson, Holm/Holmes, Kershaw, Masson, McClernon/McLaren/MacLaren, McComb, McKee, Pitt, Rawood, Riddel, Robinson, Whitaker, Wood

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup: Garth baptism records (1797-1820) at Blackwater Presbyterian in Rochdale
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 December 17 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Those non conformist registers are available to view on Ancestry, it does look as though the children were not all baptised at the same place  :-\  Transcripts are on familysearch.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup: Garth baptism records (1797-1820) at Blackwater Presbyterian in Rochdale
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 December 17 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Transcripts are on familysearch.

And images!
Here's Isabella, 5 July 1805
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSM7-LS7X-F?i=24&cat=134913

born Thursday 28 Feb 1805
Toad Lane!

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 December 17 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone!  I wonder where my great-aunt got the "Ellen" from then.  Unless Ellen is another name for Isabella or Betty.  So far there has been no sign of Julia.
Bennett, Bowling, Braedine/Brodie, Bulmer, Burns, Cochrane, Devlin, Ellis, Garth, Henderson, Holm/Holmes, Kershaw, Masson, McClernon/McLaren/MacLaren, McComb, McKee, Pitt, Rawood, Riddel, Robinson, Whitaker, Wood

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 December 17 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone!  I wonder where my great-aunt got the "Ellen" from then.  Unless Ellen is another name for Isabella or Betty.  So far there has been no sign of Julia.
Ella as a diminutive of Isabella, then became Ellen?
Cowban

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 December 17 19:40 GMT (UK) »
That is a good possibility.  Though I did find a Rochdale death for an Isabella Garth in 1806 and the father being John Garth.  Given the time and the lack of other Garths in Rochdale in that time, I am assuming that this Isabella Garth is mine. 

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 February 19 16:11 GMT (UK) »
I actually suspect that Ellen and Julia may belong to another Garth family.  When I visit my cousin, I'll have to dig through his mother's commissioned research to see how she connected both Ellen and Julia to my Garth family.  There is a marriage for both Ellen and Julia in Montreal Canada but neither provide the parents names.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 February 19 18:10 GMT (UK) »
There is a new(ish) thread about the Garth family.
Cowban