Author Topic: Mystery Swainson - Hugh Hornby in Liverpool  (Read 1079 times)

Offline tinkerbell5

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mystery Swainson - Hugh Hornby in Liverpool
« on: Saturday 23 December 17 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Whilst researching I've stumbled across a Hugh Hornby Swainson in the England and Wales Criminal Registers; 1827 in Liverpool. He is listed directly under Richard Swainson, who I think is my 6th great Uncle. Richard was born in 1792 and was also a POW in France in 1811, returning to England in 1814.

Richard's mother was Isabella Hornby and his father was Richard Swainson (no birth dates yet but married in 1779 in Liverpool).  I can't help but think Hugh might be a child of Isabella and Richard, given the fact that Hornby is his middle name. I just can't seem to find any records for this! I am hoping someone might be able to help me out with this; perhaps I'm not looking in the right places.

Thanks in advance. :)

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Swainson - Hugh Hornby in Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 December 17 19:05 GMT (UK) »
I presume you have Richard and Isabella's two other children Mary Steers Swainson bapt 6 May 1788 and Samuel Hornby Swainson bapt. 28 April 1782. For both baptisms father is down as a Mariner.

Also, whilst looking for Richard and Hugh I came across the following prisoner being held at Kirkdale House of Correction awaiting trial in Liverpool

Samuel H Swainson aged 45, committed for trial 17 May 1827 and received 7 days in jail for having stolen 2 coats, 3 caps and 5 books from a Lawrence Frost. Aged 45 in 1827 gives a birth year of 1782 the same as Richard and Isabella's son Samuel Hornby Swainson.

Unfortunately I can't find a baptism for Hugh. There is one other baptism I found in 1780 for a William Yates Swanson in Liverpool, father Richard. The entry does not name a mother or give the father's occupation. Could be the same family with a mis-spelt surname, or it could be a completely different one.

Emeltom

Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 December 17 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm.........  Samuel come up but nothing on Hugh Hornby Swainson - mystery.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 December 17 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Re William Yates Sawnson I've had a look at the images of the BTs for Our Lady and St Nicholas Church and it does look like Swainson to me. Still nothing on Hugh though. However there was also a Samuel Swainson, also a Mariner having children around the same time as Richard and Isabella - Richard's brother perhaps?

Emeltom

Added: Just come across a burial for Mary Steers Swainson who died 30 November 1789
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 December 17 10:54 GMT (UK) »
an address on this record - Hale Street - and a birth date = 11th April - note she is Isabel and not Isabella ?

Baptism: 28 Apr 1782 St Nicholas, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
 Samuel Hornby Swainson - Son of Richard Swainson & Isabel
     Born: 11 Apr 1782
     Abode: Hale street
     Register: Baptisms 1781 - 1784, Page 82, Entry 254
     Source: LDS Film 93833
 same address 6 years later - and back to Isabella
Baptism: 6 May 1788 St Nicholas, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
 Mary Steers Swainson - Daughter of Richard Swainson & Isabella
     Born: 13 Apr 1788
     Abode: Hale street
     Register: Baptisms 1788, Page 183, Entry 366

could they have moved to Borwick ,Lancaster ??

Baptism: 1 Aug 1790 St Oswald, Warton Nr Lancaster, Lancashire, England
 Richard Swainson - Son of Richd Swainson & Isabella
     Born: 13 Dec 1789
     Abode: Borwick
     Register: Baptisms 1745 - 1797, Page 74, Entry 8
     Source: LDS Film 1849662, IGI - P005541

oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 December 17 11:01 GMT (UK) »
From what I have found the couple in Lancaster married there and are not the Richard and Isabella having children in Liverpool

Richard Swainson/Isabella Bradshaw 6 Sep 1779, OverKellet, Lancs

Emeltom

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 December 17 11:07 GMT (UK) »
I presume you have Richard and Isabella's two other children Mary Steers Swainson bapt 6 May 1788 and Samuel Hornby Swainson bapt. 28 April 1782. For both baptisms father is down as a Mariner.

Also, whilst looking for Richard and Hugh I came across the following prisoner being held at Kirkdale House of Correction awaiting trial in Liverpool

Samuel H Swainson aged 45, committed for trial 17 May 1827 and received 7 days in jail for having stolen 2 coats, 3 caps and 5 books from a Lawrence Frost. Aged 45 in 1827 gives a birth year of 1782 the same as Richard and Isabella's son Samuel Hornby Swainson.

Unfortunately I can't find a baptism for Hugh. There is one other baptism I found in 1780 for a William Yates Swanson in Liverpool, father Richard. The entry does not name a mother or give the father's occupation. Could be the same family with a mis-spelt surname, or it could be a completely different one.

Emeltom
Think you may have another sibling Emeltom - SAME occupation on this record and the curate missing the I out is not uncommon

Baptism: 5 Nov 1780 St Nicholas, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
 William Yates Swanson - Son of Richard Swanson
     Born: 14 Oct 1780
     Abode: Thomas' Street
     Baptised by: John Shewell, Curate; Bromf. Foulkes, Church Warden
     Register: Baptisms 1780, Page 63, Entry 657

so middle names of Hornby / Steers and Yates  possibly
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline tinkerbell5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Emeltom, the record you found for Samuel is really interesting, thank you. Garstonite, on some records Isabella is listed as Isabel, on others it's Isabella. I'm not sure which it actually was! I'll do some searches with those middle names and see if I can find any more siblings. I'm also wondering it the surname may change in spelling to Swanson at some point further back.

It's a shame there's nothing on Hugh. Could this be missing records, or someone giving a false name?

Thank you all for your help.  :)

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 15:19 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking again at the records for Richard and Samuel and have discovered that they were both tried for the same theft of coats, caps and books and both got sentenced to 7 days in jail. I'm now beginning to wonder if a mistake has been made with the name Hugh and it should read Samuel, based on the fact that Samuel and Richard both committed the crime, which would partly explain why two people called Swainson are next to each other in that list, if you see what I mean. It would explain why no baptism can be found for a Hugh Hornby Swainson yet there is one for a Samuel Hornby Swainson.

Emeltom