Author Topic: FamilySearch - "Robert Carr probably married one of the following people..."  (Read 1191 times)

Offline steadyrollingman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FamilySearch - "Robert Carr probably married one of the following people..."
« on: Saturday 23 December 17 21:34 GMT (UK) »
You know when that phrase comes up on Family Search? Are the other people named the witnesses to the marriage or just other people who were married that day?

I've not taken much notice of the other names until now, when searching for a marriage between Robert Carr and Elizabeth Hanratty:https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:263K-SQJ
The other name that comes up is Mary Ann Humphery, and Robert's mam was Mary Ann Humphries, but from what I've determined previously, she died in 1894, about 8 years earlier. Or so I thought...

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FamilySearch - "Robert Carr probably married one of the following people..."
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 December 17 21:38 GMT (UK) »
It's Just people whose marriages appear on the same page of the marriage register.

Arranged alphabetically by surname
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline steadyrollingman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: FamilySearch - "Robert Carr probably married one of the following people..."
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 December 17 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Ah, that's what I thought, thanks ...

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 December 17 10:57 GMT (UK) »
If the record comes from the England & Wales marriage index (as opposed to parish records), there are often two marriages recorded on the same page of the register, so there are two potential wives for your man. (Earlier records might have as many as four potential spouses on the same page.)
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 December 17 11:14 GMT (UK) »
I'm assuming you do know that Robert Carr married Elizabeth Hanratty - confirmed by:

https://gro.durham.gov.uk/pgPublicDetail.aspx
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline steadyrollingman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 December 17 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Claire, haven't had that dubious pleasure yet, so good to know. And BumbleB, thx, yes, I was just looking for a source to use as a hyperlink to prove it when I got suddenly excited/intrigued...

Offline LizTJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 December 17 14:01 GMT (UK) »
I did find one of my (really common name) ancestors by searching for her in the following census by using both surnames.  Sure enough one matched where she was born and her age. I had found the 'possibly married one of the following people' and even though wives were named Mary the other combination missed by the proverbial country mile.
Liz