Author Topic: Hamilton, Scotland death records  (Read 2468 times)

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hamilton, Scotland death records
« on: Saturday 23 December 17 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know why you can't find death records from around 1830-1850 for Hamilton on the popular Scottish website (not sure if I can name it) in the Old Parish Records? I am trying to find the death of my ancestor William Barr, clockmaker (born 1780). He lived in Hamilton on Muir Street. Wm was named in a marriage announcement of his daughter Margaret Barr to William Lyon in Wellington, NZ in 1844 and he wasn't referred to as deceased (although it is possible that he was). His 2nd wife Margaret Ferguson Barr's had a death notice in the Glasgow Herald in 1846 and she wasn't listed as relict. Maybe that wasn't the custom. Just to add to this Wm had a son Wm, also a clockmaker. I didn't find his death record either but found a notice Jan 1849 that he had died probably the month before.
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hamilton, Scotland death records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 December 17 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Prioir to 1855 there were no death records just entries in the parish books. Very few deaths were recorded and the information recorded varied sometimes it may only be a record of the rental of the mort cloth which was recorded

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 December 17 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked ScotlandsPeople to see if William Barr senior left a will, or if there is an inventory for him?

Not relevant, but the following notice appears in column 5 of page 2, Glasgow Herald 19 Sept. 1845.

LOST
Upon the Farm of Low Carbarns,
A DOUBLE BOTTOM VERTICAL GOLD WATCH,
No. 5471 - with Gold Chain and Key.
Any person who has found the same, and will return it to Mr.
Kerr at Carbarns, or to William Barr & Son, watchmakers,
Hamilton, will be handsomely rewarded.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 December 17 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

There is a William Barr(aged 60) watch maker and Margaret Barr(age 55) on the 1841 Census(FreeCEN) , Muir Wind Hamilton.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 December 17 09:58 GMT (UK) »
1851 Census(FreeCEN)(all born Hamilton Lanarkshire).
58 Cadzow Street , Hamilton Lanarkshire
William Barr(Mrs) 30 widow female watch maker emp. 1 man
William Barr 8 son
Margaret Barr 4 dau.

Could that be the son's family ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 December 17 10:14 GMT (UK) »
1851 Census(FreeCEN)(all born Hamilton Lanarkshire).
58 Cadzow Street , Hamilton Lanarkshire
William Barr(Mrs) 30 widow female watch maker emp. 1 man
William Barr 8 son
Margaret Barr 4 dau.

Could that be the son's family ?

ev

It fits with the birth announcements that I saw a while ago. No death notices for William Snr. so far.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 December 17 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone. The 1841 census is Wm Sr and his second wife for sure. The newspaper from 1845 is a nice detail and appreciated. The 1851 census is the wife of Wm Jr (his wife was also Margaret, just to make it more confusing!). I will double check the wills and see if I can find something. Thanks again!
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know why you can't find death records from around 1830-1850 for Hamilton on the popular Scottish website (not sure if I can name it) in the Old Parish Records?
Because the Hamilton OPR dosn't include deaths between those dates. See https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files//research/list-of-oprs/detailed-list-of-old-parochial-registers-of-scotland.pdf

I presume that you have checked and there are no separate cemetery or burial records in the care of the local council?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 12:58 GMT (UK) »
@ AK, I checked to see if they appear in the relevant Trade Incorporation lists for Glasgow around that time, which was the Hammermen, but no joy. If Hamilton had Trade Guilds there should be something in the Burgh Records with South Lanarkshire Council. Rutherglen & Lanark did have so worth a try there as they could have been apprenticed outside Hamilton but might appear in the Burgess Rolls for any of these. The Lanarkshire Family History Society might also be worth a try! (originally the Hamilton & District Family History Society I think)

Skoosh.