Author Topic: Elizabeth Robertson nee Millar  (Read 2123 times)

Offline craigbarwick01

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Robertson nee Millar
« on: Monday 25 December 17 05:08 GMT (UK) »
Hoping some one can help me piece a puzzle together. I am searching for family of Elizabeth Millar born around 1874 but not sure where, but from the little I have found she was from Harrismith. She married Donald Robertson 14 September 1898 in Harrismith as far as I can tell, but the marriage record lists him as Robertze, and they were married in Dutch Reformed Church, Donald was born in 1866, Scotland. Donald is listed as ZAR Boksburg, not sure what this means other than he was from Boksburg and was a Handelaar ( merchant or dealer ). From their marriage there was a joint Will made in November 1898. On NARSSA I found a record of it and the dates were 1938 to 1948, first date easy, Donald died in 1938 and Elizabeth was surviving spouse, I assume the other date is Elizabeth's death. The marriage record gives Elizabeth as 24 years old and Donald 32, which is about right. anyone able to find what I can't or suggest a direction to take.
Cheers, Craig

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Robertson nee Millar
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 December 17 04:04 GMT (UK) »
You could perhaps write to the archives and ask if they have the full file of the estate. There should be a distribution etc available. If she died later before the estate was settled then her Death Notice may be included.

Looking at the marriage record - ZAR stands for Zuid Afrikander Republic - the Transvaal was an independent country in 1898.  There is also a "John Millar" named on the document as to the fact the marriage took place in his house - it might be worth looking for a death for him to see if she is referenced.

And here it is
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9LW-PT46?i=717&cat=195564
Only it opens up another brick wall for you as his parentage is not listed!

His wifes estate is also online
MILLAR, JANET. NOOIENSVAN MILLER. EGGENOOT JOHN MILLAR.
Identifier: VAB MHG_0_M369_1
Start Date: 1883
End Date: 1883
Type and Form of Archive: Correspondence File
Repository: Free State Archives Repository
Name of Creators: MHG

If you look in this catalog entry you should be able to locate the file:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/195564?availability=Family%20History%20Library
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline craigbarwick01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 December 17 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Wow , Wow, Wow, thankyou so much, the death certificate is full of information and there are other documents attached as well. There is a copy of a will and inventory  and the cover sheet lists Janet's maiden name I think, Basutolandy, rather odd. They were married in Scotland according to the death notice, so hopefully I can find more there. I thought I had hit the end of the road with this one but I now have more information to continue. Again thank you so much
Cheers Craig

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 December 17 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Wow , Wow, Wow, thankyou so much, the death certificate is full of information and there are other documents attached as well. There is a copy of a will and inventory  and the cover sheet lists Janet's maiden name I think, Basutolandy, rather odd. They were married in Scotland according to the death notice, so hopefully I can find more there. I thought I had hit the end of the road with this one but I now have more information to continue. Again thank you so much
Cheers Craig

Suspect that "Basutolandy" refers to the place rather than her maiden name, especially if she was born in Scotland.
http://www.britishempire.co.uk/maproom/basutoland.htm

See www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk for Scottish certificates (register, purchase credits then search)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline craigbarwick01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 December 17 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, I realised that this morning, the excitement of getting that information last night must have went to my head. I have been looking for her family for quite some time and had almost given up hope. I have ordered copies of both the death notices , so it will be interesting to see what is recorded on Janet's. Found a birth for John Millar in Kilmaronock, but no marriage that I can see, it may be that Janet Miller was born in Basutoland even though the death notice states Scotland, I will keep digging with this new information and see where I end up.
Thanks to all for your help
Cheers, Craig

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 December 17 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Did you find Janet's File from the reference I gave you? it appears her maiden name was Miller

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9LW-G96Z-Q?i=475&cat=195564

Her death notice gives her place of birth as Scotland and includes her mothers Name and the birth dates of all the children. Taking the eldest's child birth date they married c 1860-61 . Perhaps child was also born in Scotland in which case his birth record will give their marriage date and from that you will be able to find their parents. You will need to purchase some credits for about 7 pounds but you should be able to download about 4 documents for that.

This is a possible marriage for them in 1861
MILLAR
JOHN
MILLAR
JANET
592/ 8
Fenwick

Fenwick in in Kilmarnock so that fits!

Offline craigbarwick01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 December 17 02:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi , yes I tried the previous link but my old laptop seemed to have trouble navigating the site, I have found it from the new link though, thankyou so much for all your help, getting the birthdates of the children is a real bonus. I will go back over the Scottish records with my new info to find their marriage. I have used scotlandspeople before to trace the Robertson side of the family.
Again, thank you so much, I'm over the moon with what you have found
Cheers
Craig

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 December 17 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Happy to help = here are a few more records for the children of John and Janet and some of their husbands in the VAB archive. If you watch Matthew Bode's YouTube channel for South African research: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCryl0vgdTEYX0zb1QxEOxiQ he guides you through how to locate these documents on familysearch.org
MHG   0   20321   DODDS, WILLIAM ANDREW. EGGENOTE MARGARET (MARGARET) (GEBORE MILLAR).   1928   1928
MHG   0   21913   ANDERSON, ADAM. EGGENOTE ANNIE (GEBORE MILLAR).   1929   1929
MHG      28317   DODDS, MARGARET. NOOIENSVAN: MILLAR. EGGENOOT: WILLIAM ANDREW DODDS.   1936   1936
MHG      28530   ANDERSON, ANNIE. NOOIENSVAN: MILLAR. EGGENOOT: ADAM ANDERSON.   1937   1937
In the Transvaal Archives
MHG   0   79353   MILLAR, JOHN WALLACE.   1932   1932
MHG   0   4736/60   MILLAR, JANE BARBARA WALL.   1960   1960

Offline craigbarwick01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the extra information . Just a final note, all of John and Janet's children were born in South Africa, I have found them on a passenger list aboard The Nipsquip that arrived in Durban on 2 June 1862
Cheers
Craig