Author Topic: Royal Horse Artillery Soldier  (Read 1845 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Horse Artillery Soldier
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 December 17 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Would that be documented in regimental papers? would they have to get permission to marry?

Marriages of Soldiers:
It should be known that by the Queen's/King's regulations for the army the previous consent of the commanding officer is requisite to the marriage of a soldier, otherwise his wife cannot be recognised as such by the rules of military discipline. Although the commanding officer is not authorized by law to forbid the banns or other preliminary proceedings, he may take other steps to check an improvident marriage. From "The Marriage Law of England"

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bruiser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 December 17 10:03 GMT (UK) »
G'day Janette,

There are births for a Thomas Allen at Kilmainham 1828 and a Susanah Allen at Athlone 1831 in British Nationals Armed Forces Births 1761-2005 on findmypast that might be worth a look if you thought either of these sounded like your family and they would probably confirm Elizabeth's maiden name. I couldn't find a marriage in the associated page for either Elizabeth or James so they may have married in her local church.

My 3X great-grandfather's discharge records from the 5th Btn Royal Horse Artillery in 1848 have quite a lot of information on just where he served and dates of promotion. Perhaps if you posted which Btn he was with and any listed places and dates of service if you have them it might help.

Bruce in Brissie. 

Offline Littletoot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 January 18 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bruce, Since our last post I have organised a Find My Past subscription. I did find the baptism indexes you mentioned.  They certainly sound like the children of my James Allen. I think I also saw the birth/baptism of 2 of the other siblings as well. John E (1834)who by my records was born in Woolwich and Jane ( 1838) Sheffield.  ??  So my question is where do I apply to obtain the actual entry of baptism/birth?  I saw your note about if I find out what regiment James was in I may be able to read more about his service.  I have his discharge papers but all I see is that he was a gunner in the RHA.  So another question how do I find his battalion?
Thanks so much for taking the time to read this I am very appreciative of any help. I must also learn to use FindMyPast properly now its a bit different to Ancestry in its search parameters!!!
Cheers
Janette
Stonnill, Allen, Manley, Mooney, Small, Cornish

Offline Bruiser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 January 18 23:44 GMT (UK) »
G'day Janette,

Most of the service records that I have from around this period run to about four pages or more and the soldier's unit is usually written in on the first page just to the right of crest and sometimes there is additional information on the unit just below the crest and just above the soldier's name.

I would have a close look at the documents again noting in particular anything that has been written in. These can be hard to read and sometimes the abbreviations hard to decipher but you could post them here. I noticed that findmypast appears to have documents relating to this in their British Army Service Records but these might only be the same ones that the National Archives sent you.

With regards to the Armed Forces Births once you have the relevant details from findmypast you can then purchase them from the GRO though they might not contain any extra information as was the case of two of mine from Gibraltar. As the four baptisms that you now have are quite early it may be that Elizabeth's maiden name might not be listed. The description of just what they can contain on FindMyPast is somewhat vague in regard to this.

Bruce.

Offline Bruiser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 January 18 04:09 GMT (UK) »
G'day Janette,

The image for the bpt. of John Edwin Allen is available on Ancestry. He was born 27 Jun 1834 and bpt. on 27 Jul 1834 at St Mary Magdalene, Woolwich.

Bruce.