Author Topic: Help Identifying Military From Photo  (Read 777 times)

Offline miker866

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help Identifying Military From Photo
« on: Tuesday 26 December 17 06:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I ran into this photo recently - most likely an ancestor of mine, but I'm not sure 100%. It might be my great grandfather. Anyway, I'm having trouble IDing the uniform - the country/region, date, etc. The ancestor's family most likely came from Poland, but not sure where in Poland. There is a photographers name on the back and the only match I could find on the internet was a few photos from 1880 Plovdiv, Bulgaria - so I am fairly certain this photo is from Europe. Any help would be greatly appreciated for where this is from, the year, etc, etc.

Thanks!

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: Help Identifying Military From Photo
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 December 17 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Miker 866,

Welcome to Rootschat :). This photo probably dates from the the late 1870's. The French style kepi's had been around since the Crimean War and well known from the American Civil War.

You mention Plovdiv, there was a lot going on in 1877-1878, namely the Russo-Turkish War. The Russians captured Plovdiv and wanted to add it to Bulgaria. After all, Bulgarians made up most of the population. The British (and French?) vetoed it until the Treaty of Berlin, Disraeli and Bismarck.

I think your ancestor was in Bulgarian or associated allied uniform. He had a medal (Russo-Turkish War). I say 'associated' because his uniform does not match up exactly with Bulgarian uniforms.

I think you can discount Poland (famous last words ::))     
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 December 17 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Pity no other contributions. Admittedly it is a difficult subject. OP did view 27th without comment.

Candidates were Russia, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia and Montenegro. Not Russian uniform.

He has the presence and gravitas to have been an officer, but the uniform does not look like that of an officer.

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 December 17 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike and welcome to RootsChat...The oval vignette was a popular style for 1870s Carte de Visite style photos and the rounded corners were introduced in the early part of the decade.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 December 17 20:32 GMT (UK) »
I'm being swayed to a Serbian uniform,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Serbian_Army#/media/File:Serbian_Cavalry_officer_1865.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Serbian_Army#/media/File:Kralj_Milan_u_vojnoj_uniformi.jpg

None are exact but that's where my thoughts are after trawling through the internet with not much success  :-\

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 December 17 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Serbia was a good candidate. Thanks for looking.