Author Topic: military men in Grantham a century ago needs help identification  (Read 733 times)

Offline tup1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
military men in Grantham a century ago needs help identification
« on: Tuesday 26 December 17 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Om www.granthammatters.co.uk there is a request for help in identification etc of photo which contains his grandmothers brother William Henry Bond (1881-1949) front row far left it was taken a century ago.If anyone can help him he would appreciate it.

http://www.granthammatters.co.uk/?s=william+henry+bond

Kathy

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: military men in Grantham a century ago needs help identification
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 06:33 GMT (UK) »
Could be British and Italian soldiers.
Some British army units were sent to fight on the Italian front in 1917.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2017/jan/12/first-world-war-italy-pictures-photography
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 11:36 GMT (UK) »
The men are mostly, not all, Royal Engineers.  The man front left is a Royal Engineer sergeant (the grenade above the stripes is the give-way) (as is the man front right in case it is that side we are looking at).  There is a medal card for a 28094 Sergeant William Henry Bond Royal Engineers who finished in 1919 as a Transport Warrant Officer Class II but no other identifiable military records.  His company cannot be determined, there were many among the formations sent to Italy in 1917. 

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline tup1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi tonepad,Many thanks for your reply and the Guardian site I have passed it on to the gentleman on Grantham Matters.

Kathy

Hi, MaxD, Very many thanks for all the information you have given me to send to the gentleman I am sure it will be a great help in his research.

Kathy