Author Topic: Seeking the Birth/Baptism of Joseph Wilson  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Purple Badger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seeking the Birth/Baptism of Joseph Wilson
« on: Tuesday 26 December 17 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Merry Christmas Everyone  :)

Can anyone trace the birth of Joseph Wilson? It is driving me a little crazy!

This is what I do know...

Joseph Wilson was in the Army. In his Military records it states he was born in Edinburgh. When asked name of parish it still states Edinburgh. According to sign up and discharge ages he was born in 1832 (likely August)

He married in Gibraltar and his first child was baptised in the Catholic Church there. This record stated not only the childs parents but also the grand parents. So I know Joseph's Parents were John Wilson and Margaret Grieves.

There is a John Delver Wilson and Margaret Grieves who got married in Edinburgh in 1828 so this seems most likely to be Joseph's parents but I can't find Joseph's Birth/Baptism  ???

Does anyone have better luck./more skill?  :)

Many Thanks,

:)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking the Birth/Baptism of Joseph Wilson
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 December 17 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Purple Badger:

Have you got his marriage and death records to confirm his father's middle name?

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 December 17 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Searching for children of a John Delver Wilson and Margaret on familysearch produces 4 results

William John Delver Wilson b 1843
Isabella Jane b 1840
Margaret Sophia b 1838
John Delver b 1836
All born and baptised St James, Westminster. The births of the three youngest can all be identified on the groindexes and is given as Greive, Grieve or Greives. Coincidence?

This family can be identified in the 1841 census living in Heddon Court, St James Middlesex - Margaret is said to be born in Scotland and there is a Joseph in the household but born 1829 and in Middlesex.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Purple Badger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 January 18 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your responses. Sorry for the delay in responding the new year brought with it the dreaded lurgy!

Josephine - I have the marriage entry for Joseph in Gibraltar from Kings Chapel - unfortunately parents details were not recorded on the church entry. I have not got the death certificate. 

Millmoor - Great minds think alike. I  think it is highly likely my Margaret Grieves marrying John Delver Wilson in Edinburgh is the same Margaret Grieves and John Delver Wilson who were having children in London. What I can't make sense of is Joseph.  His military records show he joined up under age in 1850 a couple of months before his 18th birthday. I can understand pretending to be older but not younger so don't see how he could have been born in 1829 as per the 1841 census return? ??? The census says Joseph Wilson 1829 was born in Middlesex. My Joseph Wilson 1832 joined up at Westminster Middlesex but he is definitely meant to be Scottish. The 1911 census asked about nationality and his son stated his father(Joseph) was Scottish and mother Spanish.  I am not really sure how to proceed ???  I can't seem to find a birth/baptism for Joseph Wilson 1829  either! Very frustrating! :-\