Author Topic: Location of Poor Records for Rutherglen  (Read 397 times)

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Location of Poor Records for Rutherglen
« on: Wednesday 27 December 17 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

My Carroll ancestors moved to Rutherglen from Ireland sometime in the mid-1800s - am assuming around the time of the famine or soon after. I have no idea where in Ireland they were from. I have tho found the county and parish others in my tree of Irish origin through the Poor Law records in Paisley and am wondering if I may find similar in these records.

However I don't know where they are kept. Does anyone know?. (Am hoping I'll be able to fit a visit in on my next trip home)

Thanks

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland
Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)
McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk
Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire
Torrance - Brisbane
Connolly , Robertson- NSW
McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Location of Poor Records for Rutherglen
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Ann, do they appear in the Poor Records of Glasgow at the Mitchell Library? Rutherglen has been in and out of Glasgow so a possibility!

Skoosh.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Skoosh

Thanks I had a feeling might be the Mitchell tho I have something in the back of my mind says South Lanarkshire's had gone somewhere else (Motherwell?)

Have just noticed they're open today so will give them a ring.

Best Wishes

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland
Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)
Torrance - Brisbane

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Location of Poor Records for Rutherglen - Completed
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 12:08 GMT (UK) »
And mystery solved - They haven't survived but there may be something in the Parochial Board Minute books so deffo a trip to the Mitchell next time I'm home  :)
Torrance - Brisbane

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Aye Ann, they could have been in & out of Glasgow & made a claim sometime. At the Mitchell you actually get to look at the original records after searching the index, a great day out.

Good Luck!

Skoosh.

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 14:00 GMT (UK) »
All I have is census info for four children (tho I suspect there were more who maybe died young going by the gaps between them all) - latest one was born around 1847. Like a lot of folks who came to Scotland they worked down the pit. I have them in Rutherglen, Cambuslang and Blantyre and they didn't seem to move around a lot.

Dad (Patrick) died pre 1854 (Mum(Bridget) re-married then) and no death record. The church in Rutherglen where most of their BMDs took place is still there (St Collumkille's).

A real head scratcher  :D
Torrance - Brisbane