Author Topic: Thomas Tonks (Tunks)  (Read 983 times)

Offline bobtonks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Thomas Tonks (Tunks)
« on: Wednesday 27 December 17 14:57 GMT (UK) »
In 1843 Thomas Tunks married Mary Ann Mann in Gloucester. Can anyone see them in the 1851 or 1861 census?

Children could be John 1843, Thomas 1846, William 1848, James  1850 & Charles 1852. All born in Gloucester to Thomas & Mary Ann.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Tonks (Tunks)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Gloucester St Nicholas Gloucester  1861

RG 9 Piece 1765 Folio 15 Page 23   

Thomas Tunks   age 41 - boat man.
Mary Ann Tunks    age 37
John Tunks age 17
Thomas Tunks age 15   
Wm Tunks   age 13
James Tunks   age 11
Charles Tunks   age 9
Emma Harriot Tunks age 7   
Walter Tunks age 5
Isaac Tunks age 3   

Haven't come across 1851 - being boat people they could be any where - perhaps not enumerated.  ???

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Still haven't come across 1851 but this was an interesting read - nice to have background on a family.

http://www.gloucesterdocks.me.uk/people/families/tonksfamily.htm

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline bobtonks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 17:11 GMT (UK) »
I was just replying when your second reply came. That link is very interesting. A few years back I did my own family tree and came across John (1843) & Caroline. My GG Grandfather was also John and also a boatman. He married Emma Beddard (Beddall) in 1828 and like many boat people, as you pointed out, he managed to avoid any census at all. His wife Emma was in the 1841 census with the children, but that was it. I have all the details of his marriage and children's births but I never found out when he died or who his parents were.
My brother lives near Gloucester and met another Mr Tonks who told him he was erecting a bench at Gloucester docks in memory of his past family. My brother asked me if I had any details, and hence this request.
Thank you for your help; very useful indeed ... my bro will be very impressed.

Offline bobtonks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Sandra

I did find an 1851 census for Gloucester City in a (.doc file format) which made looking for boat people very easy, 50 or more I would guess, but no Tonks or Tunks.

Bob

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob,

Did you try looking for those other names in 1851 - Alder, Hook, Mann, Mayo, Mayall, Stokes and Wakeman

Just to see if the Tonks turn up mistranscribed among them.................

Sandra

Offline bobtonks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 December 17 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Sandra   I had a look thru the records, over 250 pages of them, but no luck. I found Caroline Tustin ( John's wife) but that was about it. There were lots of boat, water & barge men but only one or two  matched any of the names in the article.

Thanks again for your help.

Bob

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 December 17 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the update Bob, took another look last night but nothing is jumping out - thought we might have found a different way of finding them.  Haven't given up, will have another try later.
Usually RootsChatters are on the case with a missing family so presume no one else is having any luck  :'(

Sandra