Author Topic: What was a "St James's Commission" in 1726?  (Read 651 times)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What was a "St James's Commission" in 1726?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 December 17 10:42 GMT (UK) »
John915
I typed 'cornet' when I should have put 'ensign'.
MaxD
I think the online version of the 'Historical Records' is incomplete, and would like another shot at the printed version but cannot get to London now.  I have also failed with the LG.  The Genealogist seems to have no editions of the Army List for the years of my interest.
A

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 December 17 15:53 GMT (UK) »
I have now been able to see vol.2 of "George Ist's Army" by Charles Dalton, where there is a list of commissions 1719-1727 set out by regiment.  Lind's commission is among those marked as "St James's", which account for 37 of the 50 officers listed.  5 are marked as "Kensington", 5 as "Hampton Court", 2 as " Windsor" and one as "Gohre".  This seems likely to mean that the court was at the place stated when the commission was issued and does not imply a different type of commission.

I have also found that some of the 18th century Army Lists can be seen online, via The National Archives, ref.WO 65/5, including 1755, 58 & 59.  The 1758 volume includes scales of daily pay:  Lind as a Lieutenant of Foot would have 4 shillings and eight pence a day, plus 3s 6d subsistence.  As surgeon he would have 4s plus 3s, so it was worth his while to draw both, if he could.

A publication of 1740, "A List of the Colonels,..." [title reduced here] has Lind entered as "Lynd" among the ensigns in Lieut. Genral Clayton's Regiment of Foot, but I have not found any Gazette entry under either spelling.
A

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 December 17 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Perseverance always pays off - good sleuthing!

MaxD

General Jasper Clayton, appointed Colonel of the 14th Foot in 1713, remained as such until killed at Dettingen in 1743 - but you know that  :)
Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia