Author Topic: COMPLETED - Herd/Noble Illegimate on census 1871  (Read 1265 times)

Offline littleliz02

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETED - Herd/Noble Illegimate on census 1871
« on: Wednesday 27 December 17 17:05 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if someone could shed some light on why 2 children would have been listed on the 1871 census as Illegitimate, when their parents were married.

1871 24 Crook Oness Street, Banff
James Noble 1821 Fisherman
Mary Noble 1845 Fishermans Wife
Jean Noble 1845 Dom Serv
Alexander Herd Grandson 1869 Illegitimate b. Macduff
Infant Grandson 1871 Illefitimate b.Macduff

I have been able to obtain the birth for both Alexander and Infant (James) and their birth register state Father Robert Herd-Seaman m.s and mother Jane Herd (formerly Noble).  They married in 1866

I am assuming Jean above is Jane and wonder why their children would be listed on the census as illegitimate even though the parents were married.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Herd/Noble Illegimate on census 1871
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps the marriage was invalid for some reason?

what became of the children - not finding clear candidates on 1881

Offline littleliz02

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Herd/Noble Illegimate on census 1871
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Mabel... I just did a little bit of digging and figured out that the children's mum died in childbirth and the emunerator must have thought Jean was their mum as their dad was away.

Thank you for taking the time to respond, much appreciated

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED - Herd/Noble Illegimate on census 1871
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 19:33 GMT (UK) »
I don't think I have ever seen the word 'illegitimate' (or even illefitimate!) in an original census document. I wouldn't have thought the enumerator would have made that sort of assumption, and if he had done so I would have expected the supervisor to cross it out. He was expected to write down what he was told by the people themselves, not to add his own comments or interpretations.

Also, if their mother was Jane or Jean and she had died, who is the Jean Noble listed in the census? There is no death of a J*n* H*rd, other surname Noble, in the death indexes before 1871*, so what evidence have you that she had died?

*Jane Hird, other surname Noble, died in Banff in 1876, aged 30.

Also, the original census never lists a year of birth. It tells you how old the person said they were on census day. Are you perhaps using some transcription or other? If so I strongly recommend taking a look at the original to eliminate the possibility of errors in the transcription.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.