Author Topic: Lost at sea  (Read 1070 times)

Offline wildbee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lost at sea
« on: Wednesday 27 December 17 21:07 GMT (UK) »
My Great Great Grandfather, Anthony Larkin, whose grave marker is in Round Hill Cemetery in Nova Scotia says that he was lost at sea. He is also listed on the Lost to the Sea Memorial site. Because he died on October 7th 1851 I think he may have gone down with the many who died during the Yankee Gale of 1851 off of Prince Edward Island .... but I can't find any listing of what vessel he may have been on. I know that there are such things as the manifest..... which should list all aboard the ship ... but I don't know if that is left on dry ground in case of a ship wreck or if the manifest is taken on board and thus goes down with the ship.... So my question is ... is their a way of finding out what ship he was on and where he was lost a sea?
Thanks for what ever help you can offer me,
wildbee

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lost at sea
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 December 17 07:47 GMT (UK) »
Message a member whose username is Seaweed - he may be able to help
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 December 17 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Would not the manifest stay with the boat, so that if it took on or dropped off passengers/crew at other ports it would be updated and remain accurate?

Offline wildbee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 December 17 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to you both .... for answering my questions. I have put in a message to seaweed and because the name fits the subject ... I may get a little more info on Anthony Larkin.
Thanks again,
wildbee

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 December 17 17:50 GMT (UK) »
I have looked in the British newspapers and nothing is jumping out,I see there are many Larkin members buried at Round Hill,have you looked in the local newspaers for this particular year,his death may have a mention in them,or his will some times it states late of the
good luck
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Citizen Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 December 17 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm guessing you might have come across this already but here is a good resource if not:
http://www.islandregister.com/yankeegale.html

Having researched my ancestor's link to a whaling ship disaster, I found local newspapers to be a great help in terms of giving details of the ship. However, I was lucky that my man was a Captain. However, you may find details about your ancestor in the smaller local papers that might want to connect their community to a bigger story.

The manifest and the log book for my ship disappeared. Whether due to the wreckage or later on, I have no idea. But, they would not be a priority to save in a crisis.

Good luck with your search.

Sarah
Kirkcaldy and Dysart: Kinnaird, Brown, McDougall, Page
Burntisland: Brown, Chalmers
Perth: Low
Donegal: Browne, O'Donnell
Montrose: Allardice
Dorset: Allen