Author Topic: Where is Craigbui, Fortingall  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Where is Craigbui, Fortingall
« on: Wednesday 27 December 17 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I have Cameron ancestors from Camgouran and was looking for a marriage between Alexander Cameron and K(C)atherine Cameron. I have found 5 children born to the couple one of which I was doubting until I found a marriage 1775 between an Alexander Cameron from Craigbui and Katherine Cameron from Finnart.

My dilemma is can't find Craigbui and I know Camgouran where the other 4 children were born is at the very other end of Loch Rannoch from Finnart. Does anyone know where Craigbui is (or was)?

Thanks

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Craigbui, Fortingall
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann  :)

It might be here - to the SW of Fortingall itself:

http://maps.nls.uk/view/74428138#zoom=4&lat=5763&lon=4290&layers=BT

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gadget ;D

It could well be the very place

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 22:17 GMT (UK) »

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 22:18 GMT (UK) »
There's a Tombuidh just south of Kenmore but I doubt that's it.

Skoosh.

Well done Throth!  :D

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Troth

That would fit with the Finnart bit but not Camgouran which is a fair trek round the other side of the loch - pretty much opposite corner - tho they could have had a boat. But as that is Cameron territory and they did get into a wee bit of bother for being Jacobites it's very possible they were dispersed around the area as ythey did have land confiscated for their taking part.

Really enjoying researching this lot  8)

Ann

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Camgouran is only 6km east of Finnart - no distance at all and on the south side, not the north side of Loch Rannoch.  The Robertson stronghold is at Carie and this is difficult country to govern - hence the barracks and settling militia men in the area.

Throth

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Yup been to both but it was a long trek round that road to Camgouran I seem to remember tho I did keep stopping to take pics. I went to take pics of the graveyard which took soime finding

I also have Robertsons from same branch of family but not got them further than Renton to Paisley yet tho one was def in the military.

Ann

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Doh! Helps if I look at map properly!

This I think seals the deal! On the right track

Thanks so much ;D

Ann