Author Topic: Fitches surname from Barton mills/Tuddenham way  (Read 745 times)

Offline bevshortt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fitches surname from Barton mills/Tuddenham way
« on: Wednesday 27 December 17 21:43 GMT (UK) »
My family name is Fitches (not Fitch) on my Grandfathers side. His family all originated from the Barton mills and Tuddenham areas in Suffolk. I have traced the name back to the 1700’s - Thomas Fitches married Pheobe Jackson. My family tree is a work in process but I love the research. Would love to know if there are any other Fitches out there.

Offline tdgower2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Fitches surname from Barton mills/Tuddenham way
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 December 17 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi there bevshortt.
My 2x Great Grandmother was a Fitches, she was called Alice Fitches and was born in Barton Mills in 1890. I live in the West Suffolk area and have found her grave, as well as a few more Fitches. Alice died in 1973, my Dad knew her when he was growing up and gave my sister the Christian name 'Alice' also. Did you used to come to Tuddenham or other villages around here when you were younger?

Kind Regards, Tom
Gower, Barker, Mayhew, Blomfield - (Norfolk/Suffolk)
Cook, Carter, Smith, Musk, Moss, Staples, Sparkes, Lister, Woollard, Scrivener, Marsh, Arnold, Hazelwood- (Cambs/Suffolk)
Grimwood, Shinn, Fitches, Sustins, Harvey, Sangster, Capps, Blake, Kimmance, Rans, Watts, George, Denny- (Suffolk)
Fishburne, Bartram, Rix, Balls, Porter, Leach- (Norfolk) Slater, Forster (Co. Durham/Nbland)
Taylor, Element, Barnett- (Worcs) Colley, Dobson, Thornton, Priestman, Harper, Spence, Plewes, Mowthorpe (Yorks)

Offline bevshortt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 December 19 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom,
I am so sorry, I have just seen your reply to my post and it’s about 2 years old! Thank you for your reply.
I have a large family tree on Ancestry (a work in progress) that you should be able to see and Alice is on there.
I am away at the moment and only have my phone on me but I will have a proper look on my computer when I get back home and see exactly where the connection is.
Kind regards
Beverley

Offline bevshortt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 July 22 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,
I have checked and discovered that my Great Grandfather James Fitches had a brother called Isaac. Isaac married Emma Sangster and they had Alice Fitches in 1890.

Does this tie in with your research too?
Kind regards
Bev