Author Topic: GHERKAS INDIA  (Read 703 times)

Offline joyce341

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Dad aged two in 1891
    • View Profile
GHERKAS INDIA
« on: Wednesday 27 December 17 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help trying to help a friend find out about maternal family but not sure  where to start,my friends grandad was it seems a officer in the Gherkas born Scotland,her mum was born in India in about 1916 Mary Francis Gilbert her grandad it seems died circa 1926 and her mum was brought up mostly in a convent there she is of course now deceased but  never able to trace any of her family there had two sisters and a brother one called Ellla her mum married in India and came to England when married a soldier in circa 1943 so any help would be appreciated as to where to start looking for her.
Hickman,Cleobury Mortimer,Shropshire/Staffordshire, Parkes,Dudley,Beddoes Lindridge,Cleobury Mortimer,
Asker,Snettisham,Norfolk,Newby Howe,Kensington,SuffolkLawrence,Greenwich,Bermondsey.Putman,Kensington,Hertfordshire.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: GHERKAS INDIA
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 December 17 03:17 GMT (UK) »
Was Gilbert her birth name? Who did she marry?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline joyce341

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 December 17 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for replying,yes Gilbert was her mothers birth name,she married in India,think Nepal but not 100% to a soldier Harry G Sawyer in circa 1943 and came to England with him,have found her mothers details in BMD death entry,May Frances Sawyer (Gilbert) died 1985 born 1917
thank you for your help,I am not familiar with army records,have tried searching and found a Captain Gilbert who had a daughter Maud died in 1899 in Umballa Bengall India,aged 1 as he died my friend believes in about 1926  when her mother was ten and had four children three boys and a girl it is possible ,this is in familysearch.org.
Hickman,Cleobury Mortimer,Shropshire/Staffordshire, Parkes,Dudley,Beddoes Lindridge,Cleobury Mortimer,
Asker,Snettisham,Norfolk,Newby Howe,Kensington,SuffolkLawrence,Greenwich,Bermondsey.Putman,Kensington,Hertfordshire.

Offline joyce341

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 December 17 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Just spoke to my friend and she said although her name in death Entry was May Frances her actual birth name was Mary frances Gilbert as she hated being called Mary everyone knew her as May,mentioned the Capt Gilbert in Bengal and she said that is a possible two sisters were believed to be called Ella and Elizabeth but dont know the brothers name.
your help is very much appreciated if you can point me in any direction i would be grateful on my friends behalf.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 December 17 13:06 GMT (UK) »
The marriage was in Dehra  Dun, India in 1944 in the GRO Index of Army Marriages 1881-1955.
Page 70.
Line 68.

The certificate can be ordered from the GRO in the normal way.

That should show her father’s full name and if he was in the Gurkhas.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline joyce341

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 December 17 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for this information will order the certificate tomorrow,thank you again.

Offline joyce341

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 December 17 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi i am not sure what to put for GRO reg i have ordered online loads of times before but not for a overseas marriage and dont want to mess it up,can you help please ?