Author Topic: Captain Patrick Francis Joseph Fawcett-Barry ?  (Read 2864 times)

Offline Gerry Burroughs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Captain Patrick Francis Joseph Fawcett-Barry ?
« on: Wednesday 27 December 17 22:48 GMT (UK) »
I bought a set of miniature medals attributed to this man. I also got his medal card to see if the medals matched up. He apparently was with the Lancashire Fusiliers in WW1. He has a W. Africa medal with clasp 1919 which I cannot find in my Spink medal ref book!! The national Archives has his title msg to me as Barry,Patrick Francis Joseph Fawcett: Lancashire Fusiliers.  Were the Lancashire Fusiliers in W.Africa?? also there is a mentioned in dispatches leaf on the W.Africa medal and one on the war medal. The medal card has a note at the btm which states unable to verify Mentioned  in dispatches. So I am confused about his actual name and his medals!!! any help would be much appreciated. Cheers Gerry
History. Militaria.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Patrick Francis Joseph Fawcett-Barry ?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 December 17 01:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Did this gentleman die in 1978 ?

There are numerous entries for him in the Probate registry and his name is given as

Patrick Francis GERVASE Fawcett-Barry      or

Patrick Francis JERVOISE Fawcett-Barry

claire

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 December 17 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Commissioned 29 Jan 1915.  He served in the Lancashire Fusiliers and was transferred to the General List for service with the West African Frontier Force - London Gazette 19 Sep 1917.  The LG, where it has his full name, has Joseph rather than the posher versions!

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Gerry Burroughs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 December 17 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for that information, when i looked up the African General service medal in "British Battles and Medals" I could not find a reference to a 1919 Clasp. So would he have served with the Frontier Force for how long? Do you know if this force was involved in any conflicts?. His full size medals and the miniatures along with Binoculars and a holster were sold at auction in Dec. Apparently the buyer had no interest in the Holster or miniatures and they were put on ebay. His full size medal group did not have the African G/S medal but I noticed the ribbon bar had it included and there was also a ribbon with 3 blue stripes on an orange background. Haven,t checked this out yet but would this be the South African Co medal?? Anyway many thanks you have provided me with information which I certainly could not find. Cheers Gerry
History. Militaria.

Offline Gerry Burroughs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 December 17 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Hallo Claire, thank you for your reply. I have very little information at the moment apart from what has been posted by MaxD. Its really odd spelling for Joseph!!! If he died in 1978 he would have been in his 80s , I wonder if there is an obituary out there somewhere for him?? cheers Gerry
History. Militaria.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 December 17 14:21 GMT (UK) »
His service finished on 2 Sep 1919 (London Gazette).

A little known (to me) campaign - Wikipedia here :https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_West_African_Frontier_Force
Problem is that one would need to know the battalion(s) he fought with and without his records this may be difficult.
Same lack of luck with the 1919 clasp although I'd have expected the ribbon to be three yellow stripes on a dark background. The South Africa Co medal would seem to be well out of synch as it was for 1896/7- not really my area of expertise though.

MaxD 

PS - He was involve in the film and stage industry by the look of the newspapers in the 30s.  The Q4 1977 Gloucester registered death written as Barry Patrick Frances JF would link with Claire's thought.
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 December 17 14:32 GMT (UK) »
He is quoted as a source in "Tolkien and the Great War"

https://goo.gl/Z3vzFE

Looks like he was the commanding officer of "A" Company 11th Lancashire Fusiliers

https://goo.gl/yLUKJU
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gerry Burroughs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 December 17 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Shaun, I downloaded the book you mentioned on my Kindle and yes he is referred to in it. I am not sure if he has left a war diary or what but there is a reference to the Fawcett-Barry papers? have been googling for possible information on these. I was thinking of checking to see if his military career papers exist as apparently most of these were destroyed in WW2. Maybe give that ago? also I wonder if there was anything about him in is obituary?? can anyone help there?  Many thanks Gerry
History. Militaria.

Offline Gerry Burroughs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 December 17 11:02 GMT (UK) »
This is just a little information on the original auction which broke up the little collection and a view of the miniature set which i have. the collection was sold on the 15th Dec 2017 lot 261 by Burstowandhewett.co.uk . There are a couple of items I would have loved to have had, one is a newspaper cutting of men on horseback with him marked with 2 x and his photo. cheers Gerry
History. Militaria.