Author Topic: Restart problem with laptop  (Read 3494 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Restart problem with laptop
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 30 December 17 21:08 GMT (UK) »
My present laptop came from John Lewis, 2 years ago.I would certainly use Sainsbury's if they had a suitable machine. OK so far. The one I had from PCWorld worked fine for 11 months then started doing funny things. Though they said it was OK turned out they had loaded a test version of W7 which expired after a year. As I didn't want to take risks with my data I went to a small company who fixed the problem. Cost £160 but my data is priceless, and some I am custodian of, not the owner!!I didn't have time or inclination to get into a fight with PC World with Council customer protection services understaffed and demoralised.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 30 December 17 23:37 GMT (UK) »
My previous laptop, a Lenova, came from John Lewis, worked well for a few years then it stopped working properly.  A computer bod diagnosed it was the hard disc and tried to fix it but was unable to clone the old hard disk, which is apparently what they do after removing it from the machine, so they can then copy everything onto the new hard disk.  Problem was the old hard disk couldn't be cloned, it kept stopping part way through and that was the problem.  Result new laptop required.

This one seems to be behaving itself at the moment, since I had the HP update, so maybe they knew there was a problem and the update has fixed it - I hope so anyway.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 31 December 17 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Sounds likely, this machine came from John Lewis, is 2 years old, and is also a Lenova, a fairly early Lenova Yoga. It does seem to be behaving fairly well at present (hope it can't understand this with its artificial intelligence or it will probably decide to cost me a lot of  money)
Happy new year, and hope we are able to keep computing without too much interference from authority or hackers.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 01 January 18 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year to you to Roger.  My husband had a Lenovo PC for quite a few years before it packed up.  Now he just uses a small tablet, it's suitable for him as he doesn't use the internet that much, but I can't cope with it, it's too small for me and as I was trained as a touch typist when a teenager, I find it too difficult to type on the small keyboard.  Also it's not suitable for the transcribing I do, for which I need a larger screen than on a tablet.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 04 January 18 16:21 GMT (UK) »
I do most of my non printing/downloading work now from a 6..25" Chinese Phablet, which cost about 1/3 of the Samsung which caught fire!! At that size it is highly suitable for carrying to archives etc, and also I can photograph documents and scan with it. I use the main machine (Lenovo Laptop} about twice a week, and also have a 7" tablet (made in Britain!!) which runs W10, as does my elderly Samsung 11" Netbook. It originally ran XP, and I tried it with 10 on the basis that if it didn't work I would wipe the disk and instal Linux. To complete the set I have a Samsung 7" tablet which came with my original Smartphone about 5 years ago. Apart from an old Samsung phone, and two old phones which I must make my mind up about, that's it for now, until something else takes my fancy.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 04 January 18 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Oh my word, my OH only has his 6" Asus tablet and an old 'phone that was passed on to him by me.  He's never had a new mobile in his life, always getting cast-offs usually from one of our sons.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 04 January 18 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Plus the fact I build around 2 railway models a week 2FHS meetings a month, an archaeology meeting, 2 political meetings help at home, read 4 mags a month, and a text book archaeology or politics, write in the Rail group newsletter as chairman you will conclude I am hyperactive or nuts or both! Forgot child minding as and when needed!

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 04 January 18 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Where are your FHS meetings?  I looked at the ones near me but they are more for beginners, so not what I was looking for.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 07 January 18 18:15 GMT (UK) »
As you know Lizzie, I replied by Messenger on Facebook.