Author Topic: Restart problem with laptop  (Read 3493 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Restart problem with laptop
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 December 17 13:03 GMT (UK) »

If the chain you got it from is PCW***d etc. then personally the only thing I would ever buy from them after previous experiences is ink if all the other shops within 100 miles did not stock it any longer!

I've never had any problems with them, in fact the opposite. I ordered a laptop on line but when switched on the screen was odd. I took it back to the local store and they said the screen was cracked and they would have to send it back for repair, as I'd ordered on line and not bought it in the store. When I expressed disappointment, the assistant spoke to his manager and he got on the phone to someone who gave permission for them to replace it there and then.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 December 17 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you  for your suggestions.  I'm afraid I had to go back to bed this morning and have only just got up again.  I guess it's me that's got a virus now  ::)  I just feel not quite with it and feverish - and no it's not alcohol, I don't drink alcohol.  Still not with it so, hopefully, tomorrow I'll be able to read through all your responses.  I did start a antivirus/anti-spyware scan going before I went to bed, but the laptop closed down - it does it after 30 minutes without action anyway, but I would have thought doing a scan was action but obviously not to this HP laptop.  We got HP because my OH read they were good ones to get.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 December 17 17:16 GMT (UK) »
My guess is that it MIGHT be something to do with the latest screed from Microsoft (W10 update) which in my case was very large, and changed a few things of its own volition, (start screen etc.) Look on extreme right of task bar, to the right of the clock to see if there are any notifications showing.

From memory, I think Microsoft are pushing out driver updates at the same time as security updates unless you switch this off.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 29 December 17 11:58 GMT (UK) »
I'll check whether I've had any Windows 10 updates recently, normally I get a notification - there is a small icon on the extreme right of the task bar but nothing is showing or has been for sometime.  However, HP (the manufacturer of my laptop) has had some updates, 3 optional and 1 mandatory - a System BIOS Update (AMD Processor) - so maybe it was HP that had the problem, or they are reacting to a Windows update.  I don't know but I think that update is something to do with starting up the laptop.

I didn't get the laptop from PCW I got it from Sainsburys, my sons always get their laptops from there as they are better priced than the computer outlets and they've never had any problems with them.

The holes/vents are clear and the laptop always runs fairly cold.

I'll see if the problem happens again, the thought of having to download everything to a brand new laptop fills me with horror.  In the past I've just copied everything over but if I take this laptop back I'll have to delete everything first and then I guess the problem won't show itself. ??? 

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 29 December 17 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried Troubleshoot?

Just type Troubleshoot in Search...
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 December 17 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Had the same problem on my PC (not a laptop).
It restarts because it's set that way in BIOS providing it's not from overheating or something else that's liable to be fatal.
Programme/update issues have been mentioned.
I had 1 problematic prog. which I uninstalled. I also disabled fast startup. Haven't had the problem since (about a month).
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 29 December 17 15:33 GMT (UK) »
hallmark - I tried troubleshooting but it didn't bring up anything useful.

I'm hoping its something to do with BIOS and that having updated that with HP, the problem will have been solved.  I'm not sure I've got a fast startup, I wish I had my machine is so slow - but I think that's actually down to the broadband here which, for some unknown reason, is much slower on my laptop than on my husband's tablet.  His tablet is about 2 feet from the router, mine about 6ft so I can't believe it makes any difference but it does.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 December 17 16:36 GMT (UK) »
R.click an empty space on the desktop>power & sleep>advanced power settings>choose what the power buttons do> uncheck the box turn on fast start up (recommended).
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 29 December 17 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jim, my power and settings wasn't like your example, I didn't have quite the same options - I guess it depends on the make of the PC/laptop - but I got there in the end.  Fast start up was already disabled, so I decided to turn it on to see if that makes any difference.  If not, I'll revert to the HP default settings.