Author Topic: Shared Matches, but brother is not included?  (Read 967 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Shared Matches, but brother is not included?
« on: Thursday 28 December 17 06:38 GMT (UK) »
Good Evening:

My mum, brother and eventually my (adult) son and I took DNA tests through Ancestry.  Would anyone know, please, if I look at "shared matches" on Ancestry, what it means if only my son and I share a match with someone?  I understand that without my mum's name being included that the match would be on my father's side.  What might it indicate, please, that my brother does not share the match?  Could it mean that the connection is through my dad's mother's side?  Note:  the possible range for the relationship is 4th - 6th cousins.

Thank you for any guidance.  Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline roderickpaulin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shared Matches, but brother is not included?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 December 17 03:08 GMT (UK) »
I think ancestry has some issues to sort out - I have my test and those of both parents so any match of mine should be shared by one parent or the other.  Often this is not showing up.
Anderson-Black-Bone-Brahant-Burnside-Cameron-Cook-Curle-Ferriss-Gilchrist-Gilmour-Goodson-Hahn-Holmes-Hodge-Kepple-Klingensmith-Lane-Laurie-Lounsbury-Malott-MacDonald-M*cGregor-M*cKay-M*cKenzie-M*cLennan-McArthur-McMillan-Meiklejohn-Melvin-Miller-Moir-Murray-Murray-Olding-O'Neil-O'Neil-Pat*erson-Paulin-Pentland-Pidgeon-Plenderleith-Redfield-Robertson-Sexsmith-Shuel-Spark-Steel-Stewart-Thomson-Torrence-Urquhart-Wardrope-Weir-Wilson-Wright.
surnames in direct line - going back 8 generations

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 December 17 03:17 GMT (UK) »
Oh, that's not very good.   :-\

Thank you for letting me know.  At least I know there is a logical reason.  Thank you, roderickpaulin.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline rsel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 December 17 06:15 GMT (UK) »
What might it indicate, please, that my brother does not share the match?    Note:  the possible range for the relationship is 4th - 6th cousins.
Hi Lisa,  you and your brother inherit different combinations of Genes from each parent, so its perfectly reasonable that for a 'distant' match you could have one or other sibling that does not match another match. 
The random combinations also impact the reason why you have matches that don't match your mother, you cant assume that they therefore match your father. Again if its a distant/small match, you could have a match though your mothers line, but she doesn't match as part of the match in the 'middle' comes from your fathers DNA selection, which is enough to trigger the match threshold whilst you mother doesn't so misses the threshold.

Richard
Sellens - Sussex
Newham - Surrey
Wellington - Dagenham, Essex
Camp - South Essex
Wren - Essex
Livermore - Essex
Wane - Essex
Fisk - Essex / Suffolk
Bailey/Bayley - Sussex
Newton - Sussex
Funnell - Sussex
Streeter - Sussex
Coates - Sussex
Maisey - Surrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 December 17 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard:

Thank you for taking the time to explain the reasoning behind matches; everything is starting to make sense.

I've always wondered about how one inherits traits as both my brother and I inherited "less-dominant" things such as blue eyes, fair skin, left-handed, etc.  Perhaps it's time to read about that again as there may have been more research done since the last time I looked.

Thank you again, Richard.  I really enjoy learning new things, especially when it helps with genealogy.  :)