Author Topic: Matfen Murder 1855 - Conroys & Allens alias Andersons  (Read 7626 times)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Matfen Murder 1855 - Conroys & Allens alias Andersons
« Reply #18 on: Friday 05 January 18 04:28 GMT (UK) »
I've become quite interested in this ALLEN/ANDERSON family! It seems quite confusing however ...

In 1841 at Newgate St, Morpeth is (along with some GREENS, and a very old DAVIDSON)
Isabella ALLEN   36
Elizabeth Allen    10    
Michael Allen    8    
Jane Allen       5    
Eleanor Allen    2    
Jane Anderson    9

HO107/835/9 pg 10

Assuming Michael, Jane and Eleanor are her children all involved in the murder case. Eleanor's birth registration is probably: Eleanor ALLAN Sept qtr 1839 Morpeth (25/277) no mother's maiden name recorded. She is baptised Ellen ALLAN 17 July 1839 at Morpeth (mother only recorded: Isabella, spinster). Can't see a baptism for Michael or Jane.

Then in 1851 at Beggar Lane, Morpeth is the ANDERSON family:
Alexander Anderson    47    Bilton, Northumberland (tinsmith)
Isabella Anderson    45    Rothbury
Jane Anderson            19    Morpeth
Jacob Anderson            15    Morpeth
Elleanor Anderson    13    Rothbury
Mary Anderson            11    Morpeth
Isabella Anderson    9    Morpeth
Martha Anderson    3    Morpeth

HO107/2418 / 207 pg 1

Mary, Isabella and Martha are all registered with mmn CAMPBELL, so I'm assuming the mother is Isabella Mackintosh CAMPBELL bap 25 Jun 1806 at Rothbury. I can see the baptisms of all these children to Alexander (hawker and tinsmith) and Isabella except Eleanor. If she is the same Eleanor in the 1841, why is she with them (called daughter)? This Jane ANDERSON I'm pretty sure is the same one with the ALLEN family in 1841, so they are obviously connected.

The ANDERSON family are in the 1861 at Bullers Green
Alexander Anderson    57    Lesbury, Northumberland (tin plate worker)
Isabella Anderson    55    Rothbury
Jacob Anderson            25    Morpeth
Martha Anderson    13    Morpeth

RG09/3871 / 8 pg 10

Alexander dies 31 Dec 1866 at Belford, and has a nice death notice published. Isabella, Jacob and Martha stay together in the 1871 at Amble (Isabella described as a hawker) and in 1881 visiting the STOREY family in Rothbury.

So how are the two families connected? I can't see another suitable Isabella, Michael or Jane (born c1836) after the 1841, and I can't see Alexander and Isabella ANDERSON in the 1841. And would suspect it was the same Isabella except for the Jane ANDERSON with her in 1841.

I think I'm getting more confused, so probably not helping in trying to find out what happened to them!  ;)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 05 January 18 07:17 GMT (UK) »
This is just quick as I am an route to work.  So I may have to continue reply later.

I have read an article which records that Anderson was Tibby's maiden name.  However, I do wonder if she may not have actually married.  Michael is usually called Allen but the girls are usually referred to as Anderson- although you have found reference to Allan.

There are questions I still have about this family.  I have done quite a bit of research.  I am confused too but I suspect the second Jane may have been the daughter of Alexander.  I also think she became the wife of Jacob Miller who was living nearby. 

I think Eleanor may have married in. Newcastle but I am not 100%. I once found a record which said that her Father was Michael Allen hawker.  However, I can't be 100% this is her.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 05 January 18 08:00 GMT (UK) »
I am in a terrible rush as I have to start work soon so forgive anything I might write which may sound disjointed.  I am very interested in solving the questions I have about the Allens/Anderson's too.

I wonder where Ellen Allan was baptised.

I believe that Alexander was the father of Jane who was the Mother of Isabella Miller who went on to marry the son of James Conroy who was called Thomas.  Jane perhaps common law wife of Jacob Miller.   Thomas and Isabella had their first child Sarah baptised in Amble.  There were links in Amble with her Grandparents family.

I believe my two x Grt Grandparents were living Newgate Street Morpeth in 1851.  The family beside them I believe to be James parents and siblings.  There is a story in a newspaper about Margaret, the sister of James having later attacked one of the witnesses in the murder trial.  She appears to have been sent to the Hexham House of correction for this then I have lost all track of her.  Ann Conroy later married Adam Drummond.  I found a baptism for what I believe may have been their illegitimate child before they married.  The baptism which took place at a Church close to the cottages records the child was born at Waterloo.

One of James daughters was given an emergency baptism before death by Margaret Dalton.  I believe she was Isabella Miller's aunt Margaret Dalton ne e Miller.

There is another newspaper story about Edward Conroy having robbed I think it was Jacob? Anderson at Amble.  I think this may have been my ancestors brother, unfortunately.  What Blacksheep ancestors I seem to have had.

(I am amending this to note that I mean that it is unfortunate that Edward seems to have committed this crime; I do not think think it is unfortunate that Edward was James brother.  I thought it was important that I clarify my wording on this point and what I meant.)

The Andersons/Millers/Conroys all appear to have been connected.  Sorry, This is all very rushed and I don't have my dates or anything to hand.

I do wonder if Jane who was implicated in the murder may have married her 'Best' husband at a later point?  I can't see a marriage at the time the newspapers day she was married.

Thanks so much maddys52 for your post, your efforts and your interest.  Very much appreciated. :)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 05 January 18 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi maddys52,

I forgot to mention this morning that I think the 1841 family you show is Tibby's family.

I think the Jane Anderson who is age 9 may be Alexander's daughter.

However, I do not think that Tibby and Alexander's wife are the same person.  I think that Tibby may have been related to Alexander and that may be why Jane seems to be staying with her in 1841.  I wonder if Tibby may have been Alexander's sister?  I do think there is a relationship link but I am unsure what kind exactly.

Thomas Conroy and wife Isabella who I have mentioned before lived in Amble for a while.  As my ancestors appear to have had a habit of moving around but staying near close relations I think they may have moved to Amble to be near Isabella's Grandmother's family.  Isabella's mother was called Jane Anderson before she became the 'wife' of Jacob Miller. However, I haven't been able to find a marriage record for these two.

Thomas (James & Elizabeth's youngest son) and Isabella called their youngest daughter Jane Anderson Conroy.  The latter died young.  She had been born in New York, North Shields where Thomas and I believe, Edward's family moved to.  They lived near Isabella's parents who also lived in New York in later years.  Jacob and Jane Miller nee Anderson are both buried at Earsdon.  There was a lovely memoriam notice published for Jane after her death.

Jane and Jacob's son Michael Miller went on to marry Elizabeth Watson my Great x 2 Grandfather James' Granddaughter.  Her Mother was Mary Watson nee Conroy who was James and Elizabeth's eldest child.  Sorry, This seems to be sounding a bit complicated.

Jane and Jacob had several children - one was called Alexander Miller - I think she probably called him after her Father Alexander who you have noticed in Beggar's Lane.

I wonder which Church Ellen Allan was baptised at?

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 05 January 18 17:29 GMT (UK) »
I have put a search on freebmd and a Jane Allan married a John Best in the June quarter of 1871 in the Glendale registration district.    I wonder if this may be Tibby's daughter Jane who was implicated in the crime?

I know the papers once reported that Tibby and family had relatives in another part of Northumberland but I can't remember exactly where now off the top of my head.

The newspapers refer to Jane being now Jane Best in the 1860s.  However, I have often found that sometimes people have the appearance of being married but not actually marrying the assumed spouse until several years later.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 06 January 18 02:00 GMT (UK) »
Ellen ALLAN was baptised at St Mary the Virgin, Morpeth on 17 July 1839, with mother recorded as "Isabella ALLAN, spinster".

I agree that Alexander's wife is not the Isabella who was involved in the murder trial, and that the Jane ANDERSON in the 1841 with them is Alexander's daughter. Though why she is there I'm still not sure. Alexander is likely the son of John ANDERSON (lic hawker) and Sarah MILLER (daughter of Jacob MILLER of Morpeth) who was born 28 Sept 1804 and baptised 7 Oct 1804 at St Mary the Virgin, Lesbury (don't you love a really detailed baptism entry  ;D )

Have to go now (housework beckons), but will keep looking at this interesting family  ;D

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 06 January 18 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you maddys52.  This is a bit of a rush again today as I am off for a big family celebration event.  I will be able to respond better at some point tomorrow my apologies that this is again a bit of a rush job.

However, I forgot to mention that James and Elizabeth's son James was baptised at St Francis Xavier, at Cheeseburn Grange which is R C Church near the cottages.  His sponsor was 'Jane Anderson'.  Son James was born on 19 February 1853 and baptised on 22 May 1853.  Brother John was baptised here too in 1855 as well as Mary Drummond who I believe to be James niece - daughter of sister Ann.

I have looked at the Miller's - they appear to have started at Gateshead  then to Longbenton area then off to Morpeth and finished off at New York. 

I live in hope though that I will find out more on the interesting Tibby's family one day.  I do wish I could find out if Alexander's daughter is related to her some day.

You are correct I believe in all you have recorded. :)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 07 January 18 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi maddys52,

I have hunted out my notes which I wrote down a good while back concerning two possibles for Tibby's daughters who are recorded on the 1841 census:

Elizabeth Allen who was baptised in Alnwick on 28 February 1830. Parents Michael Allen and Isabella.

Ellen Allen marriage to John Morrison
22 August 1857, St Nicholas, Newcastle
She was recorded as 'a hawker' but then a line was crossed over these words.
Her father was recorded as Michael Allen - a hawker
Her husband John was a cartman and his Father Robert was also recorded as a cartman. 
Their witnesses were William Watson and Isabella Kelly.

I am not 100% that these are Tibby's daughters but I think there is a chance they may be.  Hopefully, one day perhaps in the future someone may be able to confirm or refute whether these are actually Tibby's daughters or not.

I have also found some old notes I have regarding some Anderson baptisms.

Jane Anderson baptised at St Mary, Morpeth
4 December 1831
Parents Alexander and Isabella
Abode: Buller's Green
Alexander a 'Yeoman'

Jacob Millar baptised St, Mary Morpeth
3 April 1836
Parents Alexander and Isabella Anderson
Abode:Morpeth
Hawker

Mary Anderson baptised St Mary, Morpeth
Baptised 1 March 1840
Tinner

Isabella Anderson baptised St Mary, Morpeth, 24 April 1842
Tinsmith

Also just to add some dates to the deaths of Jacob and Jane Miller nee Anderson mentioned yesterday:

Jane died 27 February 1895 and was buried at St Alban, Earsdon on 2 March 1895
Jacob died in 23 January 1900 and was buried at St Alban, Earsdon on 26 January 1900.

This Jacob and a brother called George (perhaps twins?) were baptised at St Bartholomew, Longbenton.  The baptism records that the family's abode was 'Gateshead'.  It does seem a long way to go for a baptism when there were more closer Churches.

Many thanks for your help over the past week. :)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 08 January 18 03:55 GMT (UK) »

This Jacob and a brother called George (perhaps twins?) were baptised at St Bartholomew, Longbenton.  The baptism records that the family's abode was 'Gateshead'.  It does seem a long way to go for a baptism when there were more closer Churches.

They were baptised on the same day, however in the 1841 census at Newgate St they are shown with different ages - George (13) and Jacob (11)
HO107/835/9 pg 11
 :)

Do you have all his siblings? Looks like 9 children in all to Jacob and Ann MILLER.