Author Topic: Matfen Murder 1855 - Conroys & Allens alias Andersons  (Read 7556 times)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Matfen Murder 1855 - Conroys & Allens alias Andersons
« Reply #27 on: Monday 08 January 18 03:58 GMT (UK) »
Also, just to add to your list of ANDERSON children baptisms -

Martha bap 12 Dec 1847 at St Mary the Virgin, Morpeth, abode: Morpeth - though no parents names were recorded this looks like a good match for the Martha who appears with them through the censuses.

The baptism for Elizabeth ALLAN and marriage for Ellen ALLAN also look good  ;)

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 08 January 18 19:25 GMT (UK) »
There are a number of baptisms/burials of Allen/Allan, Miller, Drummond, Anderson family members on this site (which does not pretend to be comprehensive). Lots of Stewarts also - not sure if related?

https://sites.google.com/site/soldierssailersandstrangers/births/baptisms-1800

Gives a rough idea of how these inter-related families of muggers/potters/hawkers etc moved around Northumberland and southern Scotland. I have often come across these names as I have worked through Northumberland registers looking for my mobile hinds and shepherds and am very much enjoying reading this thread.

It is an ambitious task but I think potentially a genuine contribution to the social history of the region if you expert Rootschatters could work out the dynamics of this fascinating group of families.

This thread may be of interest:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=719191.msg5656797#msg5656797

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks maddys52 - I will add Martha's record to my collection.

Also many thanks SelDen for your interesting post and links.  I can't see any name of recognition but it is always good to let others know of new links which may be helpful.  So thank you.

I am not at home at the moment so don't have my dates to hand but I have done some background research on the Miller's and Anderson's and have found out a little bit on the Drummonds.  As I say I believe some of those named are linked to my Conroy ancestors. 

Ann Miller was an interesting person to research.  She was the sister of Jacob and aunt of Isabella Conroy ne e Anderson I believe.  I believe I have found her in Tynemouth workhouse under the name of Ann Smith with illegitimate daughter Jane Smith baptised at Christ Church, North Shields.  She then goes on to marry Daniel Mackbride as Ann Miller and has some children with him.  She next married Peter Conroy.  In one census I believe some of her Mackbride children have been given the name of Conroy.  She has a daughter called Bridget amongst other children to Peter who later becomes Bridget Gilboy on marriage.  The Gilboys are also linked with the Conroys through marriage.

I will put some dates to all this soon for those who may be researching these people either now or in the future perhaps.

Many thanks SelDen.  It is interesting to hear that you think the histories of these people may add to the social history of the region. :)

Best Wishes.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 03:42 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find that link between the Jane ANDERSON who is with the ALLEN's in 1841, but unsuccessful so far. I know you thought "Tibby" was possibly related to Alexander ANDERSON.

Alexander's baptism says his father was John ANDERSON and mother Sarah MILLER (d.o. Jacob MILLER). It also says he was their first son. Other children that I can see to this couple are:

- Jane (born 29 May 1799, bap 3 Jun 1799) at St Michael and All Angels, Ford (noted as 1st daughter, and that mother from Ancroft, Durham)
- Sarah (born 31 May1807, bap 4Jun 1807) at St Mary the Virgin, Ponteland (noted as 3rd daughter)

So unfortunately there is another daughter I can't find, hoping it would be Isabella ... but no luck so far.

Btw, thanks SelDen for the links!

Offline Suryniji

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 26 October 21 16:37 BST (UK) »
Greetings from Australia.  I am a direct descendant of Michael Allen, of the Matfen Murder saga.  I have had a very quick look at the first page of this thread and will look at the rest soon, but very excited to find it. Sadly, Michael never made it back to the UK.  He was granted Ticket of Leave in 1861 and Conditional Pardon in 1866.  He married Mary Ann McLochlin (nee Wellington) in 1866 and the only child of this union was my great grandmother, Isabella Louisa Allen, born in 1868.  Michael died in 1873 aged 39 in Geraldton, Western Australia.  Mary Ann married again the same year Michael died and went on to have another 7 children to George Robinson. Isabella, a midwife, died aged 60 in 1928. Until she married she continued to use the surname of Allen and did not take on the Robinson name despite being only 5 when Michael died. 

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 01:08 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Suryniji,

This was a very interesting thread involving some interesting families, it was good to be reminded of it this morning.  :)

I'm sure River Tyne Lass will be pleased to hear from you and interested to hear what became of Michael ALLEN.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 18:26 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Suriniji!
Thank you so much for joining this thread!  How extraordinary it feels to hear from a descendant of Michael! 
I am very interested to know what became of this family as they were lodgers and friends with my own ancestors and shared the fate of becoming co-defendants in that sad and infamous trial.

There are so many questions and mystery, it is hard to know where to start.  Aside from the murder, I do wonder about the interconnectedness of the Conroy/Miller and Anderson families.  I suspect the Jane Anderson age 9 who seemed to be with Tibby & family in 1841 may have been of some family relationship with them.  A Jane Anderson of that age went on to marry Jacob Miller (son of Jacob Miller) and she became the Mother of Isabella Miller who married my Great Grandfather's brother Thomas Conroy.  Isabella's brother Michael Miller married Elizabeth Watson who was the daughter of my Great Grandfather's sister Mary Watson nee Conroy.  From various records and newspaper reports I do think these families were familiar and interconnected with each other.
I do know that there are descendants of Jacob and Jane Miller nee in my area. (Tyneside) Although, I do not know them personally.  At one point, I hoped to contact a descendant from this Conroy/Miller/Anderson line who was also very interested in family history but this person died in tragic circumstances before I could contact.
Just out of curiosity, have you had dna tested?  If so, I wonder if you might match with descendants of Jacob and Jane, which might lend support that  Jane Miller nee Anderson was related to Tibby.

I do feel sorry that  Tibby (Isabella) lost her son Michael for good it would seem. I think this scene as depicted in the Newcastle Guardian and Tyne Mercury dated 2 August 1856 is really quite sad and you can imagine the state of her anguish  ..

... 'Outside the Moot Hall where the prisoner was tried, Mrs Allen (who was made familiar by the Matfen Murder for which she was also arraigned as "old Tibby Anderson") was standing on Tuesday afternoon waiting the result of her son's trial, and when it was communicated to her, she threw her arms about in a state of wild and frantic excitement, and wrung her hands in despair, crying out "they had transported her innocent bairn".  So great was the crowd that congregated around her, that she had ultimately to be driven off the ground by the police.'

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Suryniji

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 02 November 21 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Terribly sorry for the delay.  I'm so new to rootschat that I did not realise there had been responses.  I only came on here tonight to finally try and read the whole thread, which I still have not done as it is just so mind boggling. From what I have read of it so far, a wealth of information has been provided.  I am very fortunate to have found this link, and I thank you all. I will get through it all eventually  ;D Yes, I have tested, as has my father and my two siblings, so I would hope that this could help confirm the tangled web.  River Tyne Lass, Is there a way I could discuss this information privately with you?  I have a tree on Ancestry which is also connected to my DNA.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 02 November 21 16:19 GMT (UK) »
This is great to hear from you again.  :D How remarkable to hear from a descendant of my Grt x 2 Grandfather's friend! 
Yes,I will give you my email by pm.
If Jane Miller nee Anderson was related to your ancestor Tibby and family, I think you will probably connect DNA wise to descendants of my ancestors Thomas Conroy and Mary Watson nee Conroy who were the brother and sister of my Great Grandfather Simon (James & Elizabeth's third child). 
Mary's daughter Elizabeth married Jane's son Michael and Thomas married Jane's daughter Isabella.
Jane and husband Jacob have a memorial in St Alban, Earsdon.
It will certainly be interesting to try to suss things out. :)