Author Topic: Parents and siblings of Elizabeth Fleete  (Read 1610 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Parents and siblings of Elizabeth Fleete
« Reply #18 on: Friday 29 December 17 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Quote;
Blimey this is a headspinner.

I agree :D ;D

1841 Census
Row 29
Great Yarmouth
Henry Ellis, 50, Wheelwright
Martha Ellis, 50
William Fleet, 15, Basket Maker Apprentice***

So looks like William Benjamin Fleet is with his Grandmother, Martha Fleet/Ellis nee Barry;

WILLIAM BENJAMIN Fleet
christened 13 February 1827, Yarmouth, Norfolk
(F/S.Org)

Henry ELLIS was buried 18 May 1843 age 54
(FreeREG)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 29 December 17 13:54 GMT (UK) »
trish,

Maria is Maria Moulton in 1871, living at 16, Row 120, whilst Martha Ellis (82) and Elizabeth Fleet (35) are at 19, Row 20,( as found previously).

Added:
The 1841 census etc has been found on page 1 - it just confirms what we have all found, I would say.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 29 December 17 18:52 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure whether it is relevant,but are there two different Martha Fleet(s),both born to a Benjamin Fleet in 1809/1810?

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01l7w/

Regards
Roger

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 29 December 17 19:09 GMT (UK) »
I had seen both, but we were following the Martha link, as did not know what the Father was called.

Offline Brutushedge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 01 January 18 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again to you all for all the information on this topic. After several hours and lots of paper, I think I have it sorted! Correct me if I'm wrong, but from the information I now have:
Benjamin Fleet (possibly Benjamin Tulfer Fleet??) b. 1796,  married Martha Berry/Berry/ Barry b. 1790, in Great Yarmouth on March 11, 1810.
Their daughter Martha Fleet is born June 13, 1810, Great Yarmouth. She seems to be their only child.
Benjamin Fleet dies August 4, 1812 Great Yarmouth.
His wife Martha Fleet (nee Berry/Barry) remarries to Henry Ellis (1790-1843) on May 30, 1815. Unclear as yet when this Martha (b.1790) dies, but she is still alive in 1871, living with her granddaughter Elizabeth in Great Yarmouth, 19, row 120.
So far so good. Now it gets complicated:
The daughter Martha Fleet (b. 1810) seems to have had 4 children:
1) William Benjamin Fleet (base born, 1827, Great Yarmouth). Father unclear. He marries Eliza Sarah Goffin in 1847 (do I have this relationship right??).
2) Robert Nott Fleet (b.1841, Great Yarmouth). Registered as possibly Robert Noll Fleet, but mother Martha in 1851 is living with William Knott, in Great Yarmouth, so paternity may be suggested.
3) Elizabeth Fleet(e) (1844-1933). Probably using the name Fleet still as her mother is unmarried, so she is technically still a Fleet. In 1841 she is probably recorded in Great Yarmouth as Elizabeth Ellis. Her mother Martha (b. 1810) seems to have adopted her stepfather Henry Ellis' name for herself and children. HOWEVER, in 1851 Great Yarmouth, Elizabeth Fleet is now recorded as Elizabeth Knott, presumably assuming the name of the man (William Knott) her mother is living with.
4) Maria Fleet/Nott (b.1846). Paternity may again be suggested by William Knott, and Maria is registered in Yarmouth in 1851 as Maria Knott. This Maria marries Benjamin Moughton in Great Yarmouth in 1869, and using her married name is a witness at her sister Elizabeth's wedding to William James Wells in Great Yarmouth on Dec 22, 1872.
Paternity for all 4 children is only suggested, and I can find no record for Martha Fleet (b. 1810) marrying William Knott/Nott, or indeed anyone else that may give further clues. Birth certificates that I can see only list mother Martha Fleet's name (am I wrong??)
The thing that really confused me was that when Elizabeth Fleet(e) married William James Wells  in 1872, she gave her father's name as William Fleete. Initially I thought this was William Benjamin Fleet, but he it seems was her brother (or am I mistaken??). Could it be that Elizabeth Fleet(e) just said her father's name was William (meaning her "stepfather" William Ellis) and it was naturally recorded as William Fleete? Or perhaps she just invented the name to avoid showing unknown paternity?
Huge thanks again to you all for your help with this 'mind bender'. If there is anything else you can add, or I have made some mistakes, please feel free to comment.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 01 January 18 20:00 GMT (UK) »
I.m attempting to follow

Surely this summarraises the question Martha is unlikely to have had one base born son in 1827

Followed by 3 children in the 1840.'s with the Nott Fleet surname it's a big gap
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 01 January 18 20:53 GMT (UK) »
brigidmac,

William Benjamin Fleet born 1827 (Mother age 17), then Elizabeth Fleet born 1837, possibly others who died, or one 'mistake in 1827, and then a new relationship.  (It  happens nowadays)

Brutushedge
I have Elizabeth Fleet as born 1837 as she shows in 1841 in the census that I cannot read.
If William Knott was her Father, but parents not married, at Elizabeth's marriage she can say William is her Father without specifying his surname.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 01 January 18 20:58 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to piece together the data as you have done,but appear to have a diferent view from the start,I'm afraid.I started by trying to resolve the Benjamin Fleet(s) by looking at the burial records on FreeReg.
The earliest born one of relevance is given as dying in 1833 aged 68 i.e. approx 1765-1833
It seems likely that he marries Mary Raven(s) in Nov 1790
They have a son Benjamin born Jan 1891,who probably dies in Aug 1812(Quite possibly the one who marries Martha Berry)
The same couple Benjamin Fleet/Mary Raven(s) have a "replacement" Benjamin(Tulfer?) Fleet,born later in 1812 (therefore approx.21 years after the first!).He is equally short lived,dying in 1832.
Mary Fleet nee Raven(s) dies in 1856 aged 85.(1771-1856)
She can  be seen in the 1841 census as Mary Flett,probably with a Sarah Ames(the same surname as a wedding witness somewhere?).Same applies to the 1851 census.

Enough for now!

Regards
Roger

Offline Brutushedge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for more on this.
Chempat, yes the 1837 date for Elizabeth Fleete makes more sense. I have the 1844 date from the 1881/91 censuses, but interesting that she gets older in 1901 and 1911. I think I originally was doubtful of the 1837 date when I was somehow following the idea that William Benjamin Fleet was her father, rather than her brother.

Brigidmac, it is very tricky to untangle it all, and I too initially had reservations about that long gap. But with the new date of 1837 from chempat, I am inclined to agree with the idea of an early mistake, followed by either other unsuccessful attempts or just waiting for the right relationship.

Roger @ despair that is very interesting. I have always been working from the most recent people backwards, as I was only certain of the Elizabeth Fleete/William J Wells marriage connection. I will work through the info you have, as it may well give that branch of my family another generation.

Any more leads greatly appreciated!