Author Topic: Can you help with finding an RC marriage in Chester le Street?  (Read 1692 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can you help with finding an RC marriage in Chester le Street?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 December 17 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Let us know when (and where) you find it  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 December 17 01:49 GMT (UK) »
Will do Jen but likely won't be until at least February when I may be able to get there.  I think St Bede needs to be the first port of call. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 December 17 02:49 GMT (UK) »
I think we can eliminate Esh Laude. Too far away and too difficult to get to. Not in the Chester-le-Street Registration area. Assuming that the following churches were in existence at the time of the marriage here are some options:

http://www.catholicdirectory.org/Catholic_Information.asp?ID=54207

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 December 17 08:55 GMT (UK) »
I think we can eliminate Esh Laude.

I already did that in reply #5  :)

Not in the Chester-le-Street Registration area.

Good point  :-[  This, of course, eliminates any in Durham City. But it does leave you with Sacriston, which was in C. le S. R.D. https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/chester-le-street.html

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 December 17 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you barryd and JenB.  I know they did not marry at Birtley.  I have checked this one at T & W Archives already as for quite a number of years my ancestors did go to this Church.  Several of Mary's siblings including my Grandfather were baptised here and other family services such as marriages and burials happened here - but not Mary's marriage.  I think the marriage is probably going to be found at St Bede. 

I would be quite surprised if they did marry in a registry office.  You would think the priests would have been quite strict in 1899 about two RC people going to a registry office.

My own parents married originally in a registry office as Dad was RC and my Mother C of E.  However, the priest found out and came out to our house and had strong words with my parents and they then went on to have a second ceremony at the local R C Church.  I found reference to this second ceremony beside my Dad's baptism entry when I was researching at T & W.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner