Author Topic: Steele of Woodseaves  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Katie Steele

• RootsChat Member
  • G.Grandparents Charles and Elizabeth Steele
    • View Profile
Steele of Woodseaves
« on: Friday 29 December 17 20:11 GMT (UK) »
I have this week found after 11 years of putting together my Steele tree (with lots of help from the lovely people on here), that I have followed the wrong tree.... I am however missing the baptism record of my 4th Great Grandfather, (Thomas Steele bn.1771, died 1846 Wellington, Shropshire) which would be my confirmation with this other family.

I came across my 4th Great Grandfathers will, which names a Brother George of Woodseaves. I have since found all the Wills of the family in Woodseaves including his father which names him among his other brothers.
I have been through the parish records for Drayton in Hales and found all the siblings of Thomas Steele, and as mentioned in John Steels Will. But no Thomas

Here is the Family...

John Steel d.1817 Wife possibly Elizabeth Gee m. 1763 Woodseaves

William bn.1763
Jane bn. 1768
John bn.1770
Thomas bn.1771
George bn. 1774
Sarah bn. 1775
Joseph bn. 1778
James bn. 1782

If anyone would like to take this challenge of finding Thomas's baptism that would be really appreciated  :)

Katie

Steele - Wellington, Drayton in Hales, Woodseaves - Shropshire <br />Jones - Montgomeryshire (Llanidloes and Llangurig)<br />Ball - Dawley, Shropshire <br />Williams - Dawley<br />Ray/Rea/Reay - Dawley, Shropshire, Bromsgrove, Worcs <br />Evans - Dawley, Horsehay<br />Halford - Dawley, Broseley, More, Clun<br />Harris - Little Wenlock, Birmingham, Feckenham<br />Paterson - Aberdeen<br />Skinner - Aberdeen

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Steele of Woodseaves
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 December 17 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi hope to help, a couple of miles away from Woodseaves is Hinstock, a William & Mary had a son Thomas STEEL baptised 6th Oct 1771

Keyboard86

Sorry wrong one obviously as father John!
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Katie Steele

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 December 17 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Thats the one that I originally chose to follow as there was no other Thomas's born in Shropshire in that year.

Unfortunately, everyone else with the same family on Ancestry have also followed the Hinstock line.
Steele - Wellington, Drayton in Hales, Woodseaves - Shropshire <br />Jones - Montgomeryshire (Llanidloes and Llangurig)<br />Ball - Dawley, Shropshire <br />Williams - Dawley<br />Ray/Rea/Reay - Dawley, Shropshire, Bromsgrove, Worcs <br />Evans - Dawley, Horsehay<br />Halford - Dawley, Broseley, More, Clun<br />Harris - Little Wenlock, Birmingham, Feckenham<br />Paterson - Aberdeen<br />Skinner - Aberdeen

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 December 17 14:44 GMT (UK) »
I can find baptisms for all the children you have listed with the exception of Thomas. They were all baptised, father's name John, in Market Drayton, which is the Parish for Woodseaves according to the Genuki pages for Shropshire. The baptisms are all on familysearch but no Thomas.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Katie Steele

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 December 17 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for checking....

I will have to rely on the what is written in the Wills, Thomas did live in Drayton also and baptised most of his children there too.

Katie :)