Author Topic: Parents of Ann SMITH b. 1801 - brick-wall  (Read 904 times)

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parents of Ann SMITH b. 1801 - brick-wall
« on: Friday 29 December 17 20:31 GMT (UK) »
I am going through my father's line and trying to backtrack and work on some inconsistencies and brick walls. Ann SMITH is one such roadblock.

The first record I have of her is her marriage to Isaac SMITH (in all honesty, probably a cousin - these Smiths were not opposed to that elsewhere in this line). She marries him in 1817 in Wadenhoe, Northants. Witnesses were Isaac Ellis / Thos Smith. The groom signed his name, she made her mark, and they were married by Banns.

Isaac Ellis, I think, is a relative of the groom's mother, Sarah Ellis.

In 1841 Ann is in Wadenhoe, a widow on parish relief with her children Thomas, Isaac, and Ann living with her. In 1851 Ann is a laundress and her son Isaac is still with her. She gives her birthplace as Oundle, Northants.

Strangely, her age is 40 in the 1841 census and 60 in the 1851 census. Given that her husband was born in 1798 (confirmed by his baptism to Thomas Smith and Sarah Ellis in Wadenhoe), I'm inclined to believe the 1801 date. Her husband dies in 1840. Her last child, Ann, is b. 1835.

I am not sure who the other marriage witness, Thomas Smith, is because he could be multiple people. Anne's husband was the son of a Thomas and had a brother named Thomas.

Any idea how I can figure out the identity of this Ann?

EDIT: One thing I just noticed - the marriage is by consent of parents, further confirming the 1801 birth date is more likely. Ann is of the parish of Oundle and Isaac is of this parish (Wadenhoe).

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Ann SMITH b. 1801 - brick-wall
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 December 17 09:00 GMT (UK) »
FreeREG has Oundle Baptisms in that time frame, I checked 1798-1803 and no Ann Smith.

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Ann SMITH b. 1801 - brick-wall
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 December 17 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Not that this will help very much but the 1851 census states:

Ann Smith Birth: about 1791 - Wadenhoe, Northamptonshire, England

Does the death or burial record give any information?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.