Author Topic: Coachman's cottage of Subiaco, Rydalmere  (Read 3792 times)

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Coachman's cottage of Subiaco, Rydalmere
« on: Saturday 30 December 17 01:41 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find information about a cottage (with dirt floors) that we referred to as the coachman's cottage of Hannibal Macarthur's Mansion, The Vineyards or later Subiaco.
I believe the cottage was at what is now 44-46 Mary Parade, Rydalmere.
There is a lot of information about the Mansion but I cannot find information about this cottage.
The home was occupied by a family in the 1950/60's (maybe even before) and I believe that they were told to leave as it was condemned for living in.  Any suggestions would be most helpful. thank you

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Coachman's cottage of Subiaco, Rydalmere
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 December 17 01:50 GMT (UK) »
Have you contacted the Local Council?

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 December 17 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cando, thanks for the suggestion. Can't do it yet as the Council is not answering. Will get onto it in the New Year. Thanks again and Happy New Year

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 December 17 07:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Essie, Thanks for the suggestion.  I have looked at this site but unfortunately it doesn't mention the coachman's cottage. I will try the local historical society and council as soon as they are all back at work in the New year.   I appreciate your suggestion.  Happy New Year.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 04:53 GMT (UK) »
fingers crossed this link works.

http://digital.sl.nsw.gov.au/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_pid=FL1765713&embedded=true&toolbar=false 

NSW State Library,  out of copyright photo, showing main house and a cottage too.

http://digital.sl.nsw.gov.au/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?embedded=true&toolbar=false&dps_pid=IE1765706

Title: Subiaco, Parramatta River near Parramatta

Copyright and permissions:
This image may be used freely for research and study purposes. Further use may require permission. Please acknowledge that the image is from the collections of the State Library of New South Wales.

Call number:
Government Printing Office 1 - 06145

ALSO, perhaps worth a phone call to RHEEM Australia to see if they have an archivist, or where they store their archives photos? http://www.rheem.com.au/ContactUs

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 09:33 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure exactly how to reference this article, but in the SMH Nov 26 1960, pg 13 there is an article about the imminent demolition of the cottage with a photograph. It shows "the Vineyard" and an "original house" built supposedly before 1800 - not sure if this is the cottage you refer to?

http://smharchives.smedia.com.au/Olive/APA/smharchive/Default.aspx#panel=search&search=2

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Majm,  Unfortunately this is not the cottage I am researching.  The coachman cottage was some distance away from Subiaco and also the other originally built cottage.
The cottage I am referring to was on land that is now 44/46 Mary Parade, Rydalmere.
We always knew it as the coachmans  cottage of Hannibal Macarthur's Mansion (The. Vineyards or later Subiaco).  As The Vineyards was a very large estate I can only assume that the cottage I am researching was part of the estate.  It was certainly in the boundaries.
Thanks for your help - I remember touring Subiaco as a girl but I cannot say I ever saw the Mansion taken from the Parramatta River side.  So the photograph is very interesting. Thanks

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks maddys52,  I cannot get into the site you suggested but I am assuming that it is in reference to the old original cottage built on the site.  Later the mansion was built next to this (known as The Vineyards or later Subiaco).
The cottage I am seeking is what we called the coachman's cottage and it was on land that is now referred to as 44/46 Mary Parade, Rydalmere.  This is quite a distance from the Mansion.
I appreciate your help.