Author Topic: A bit of a conundrum: Parents of Harry Ambrose BARLOW  (Read 318 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A bit of a conundrum: Parents of Harry Ambrose BARLOW
« on: Saturday 30 December 17 03:13 GMT (UK) »
Dorothy Irene ROBERTS & Harry Ambrose BARLOW married 26 Sep 1936 Queensland.

I tracked the couple [before and after marriage] and noted that Harry is in some Electoral Rolls listed as Henry Ambrose BARLOW.  I know this is the correct person given that Dorothy Irene is with him [after 1936] even though on occasion he was recorded as Henry.

A 1936 newspaper article correctly identifies him as Harry Ambrose BARLOW working with tow of Dorothy Irene's brothers.  The information tallies with the Electoral Roll all bar the Harry/Henry difference.

A Harry Ambrose BARLOW is buried at Myall Remembrance Park at Dalby in 1973.  QLD BDM have this persons parents as William Ambrose BARLOW and Lillian Blanch BOOTH.

I was unable to locate a birth for Harry Ambrose BARLOW in Queensland so looked in NSW.  A birth is recorded for a Harry A BARLOW with parents of James BARLOW and Lillian.  I was unable to locate James & Lillian's marriage to secure Lillian's maiden name.

In tracking Harry through Electoral Rolls the first one I located was in NSW.  The following ae the records I located.
1930 Taree, New South Wales, Australia Labourer another one for 1930 Mallanganee [?]
1931 Brigalow, Queensland, Australia Labourer
1932 1933 Torrington, New South Wales, Australia Labourer
1936 [Henry is this Harry] Ducklo, Queensland, Australia [working at ROBERTS Labourer]
1937 1943 Ducklo, Queensland, Australia [working at ROBERTS Labourer] & Dorothy Irene at Gulera [5.8 km apart. ] ROBERTS are Dorothy's brothers.
1949 1954 Bunya Rd, Kaimkillenbun, Queensland, Australia Farmer
1958 1963 1972 10 Vowles St, Dalby, Queensland, Australia Farmer

Is there more than one Harry Ambrose BARLOW?  I know I can purchase a certificate however it just adds to the expense as is a last resort.

Thoughts?

Westy

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A bit of a conundrum: Parents of Harry Ambrose BARLOW
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 December 17 03:39 GMT (UK) »
The marriage is in the indexes in 1905. 

Debra  :D

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace Jardine - Morrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 December 17 03:53 GMT (UK) »
Death of James:

3409/1939 BARLOW James Ambrose William parents CHARLES and SARAH at GLOUCESTER (which is very near to Taree)

Obit: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article140929589

Marriage:

7568/1905 BARLOW James to BOOTH Lillian PENRITH

Jamjar

Added: Wife’s death? Not far from Taree:

4854/1924 BARLOW Lillian B HARRY and BLANCHE at DUNGOG

Her birth: 28409/1885 BOOTH Lillian B parents HENRY and BLANCHE at PENRITH

The death of another son:

70504/1971 BARLOW Ernest Arthur J parents JAMES WILLIAM A and LILLIAN BLANCHE at PARRAMATTA

Death notices:    

BARLOW Ernest Arthur Joshua Death notice 9-11-1971 Death 60 late of Dundas, Lake Cargelligo and Rosehill Sydney Morning Herald 10-11-1971

BARLOW Ivy Vera Death notice 12-10-1998 Death late of Dundas, formerly of Rosehill Sydney Morning Herald 14-10-1998   

At Rookwood Cemetery:

Ernest Arthur Joshua BARLOW 60 11-11-1971 Zone F Salvation Army N 322
Ivy Vera BARLOW 85 12-10-1998 16-10-1998 Zone F Salvation Army N 323

Marriage: 19954/1934 BARLOW Ernest A J to BAWN Ivy V at PARRAMATTA

You’ll find his birth and those of siblings on NSWBDM.
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 December 17 04:48 GMT (UK) »
Harry’s sisters:

Rita E born and died 1914

Sister Violet Lillian married Charles Stace and died in 1998. Cemetery (at Taree) details here:

http://austcemindex.com/?family_name=Stace&cemetery=301

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 December 17 05:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jamjar & Dundee,

My good old long since departed dad would say "if was a snake it would bite you"... and this is how I feel about missing the marriage although the marriage I located didn't have the same name for the father as it did at Harry's death.

Notwithstanding that my thanks to both of you.  You make what seemed a challenge look so incredibly easy. ::)

Westy

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 December 17 06:06 GMT (UK) »
It happens to many of us, Westy.  :)

Jamjar

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 December 17 06:21 GMT (UK) »
 ;D :-*

Westy