Author Topic: Robert George Black and Eliza Black - Antrim/Belfast  (Read 775 times)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert George Black and Eliza Black - Antrim/Belfast
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 January 18 11:46 GMT (UK) »

... There was a couple called Robert Black and Margaret Ewart who got married in 1870 and had a number of children (including a son William, but no son Robert that I can see) - while Robert, husband of Margaret Ewart, did indeed die just some months before Margaret 'Black alias Black' married William John Marshall in 1881, Margaret's father in the 1870 marriage was given as Francis Ewart, which is far removed from the given father 'William Black' in the 1881 marriage ... 

Robert Black and Margaret Ewart can be disregarded, I've tracked Margaret and she is definitely not the same person as the Margaret Black who married William John Marshall in 1881 or the Mary Ann Black with whom William John Marshall had several children in the late 1880s.  It was never a strong possibility anyway, but out it goes for definite.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline jdchisim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for doing that gaffy.

I was not aware of that 1908 news story so perhaps it may be linked. Though I don't have any other information which could confirm this.

What is of interest and may be a potential lead which I need to look into is, the remarriage of WJ Marshall and his appearance in the census. Most of the children are stated to be step children to WJ head of household and take the name McLaren from his wife's widower. However, there is one other child, his son William Marshall who (I don't have the record in front of me and I'm on my phone but I believe this to be correct) who was 19 years old and born in Scotland. If he was married to Mary Black then it is all too possible that this is his child with her. In which case, the Scottish records for birth and marriage may be worth pursuing.

Edit: I would say that this is William James Marshall in 1911. Louisa Street is just around the corner from the other streets mentioned. Which themselves are typically only one street apart.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Clifton/Louisa_Street/184401/

This puts his birth as Govan which is in Glasgow.

The search continues.
Ireland:
Antrim: Chisim (Chism/Chisholm), Ross, Black, Dornan, Bell, Gowdy (Goudy), Clawson (Classon), Lockhart (Locket), Rice, Muldoon, Montgomery, McKinley, Cochran, Armstrong, Stewart, Morris
Down: Blackwood
Derry: Blaney (Blayney), Creamer (Cramer/Creanor)
Fermanagh: Downey, Rice
Tyrone: Hamilton, Irwin

England:
Lindores

Wales:
Johns

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline jdchisim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 July 18 20:45 BST (UK) »
I've been able to get a bit more concrete information on this Robert George Black.

I posted on the force war records forum asking about the military background for more information.

And one of the users posted this:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1874/03164/2160811.pdf

Mary Ann Blick has an illegitimate child of Robet George born 9th February 1874. My records show him dying aged 86 on 2nd February 1961. So this matches perfectly.

On the Marshall census showing William John Marshall remarried. He has a son William James Marshall.

I was able to locate him in Scotland. He was born in 1883 to William John Marshall and Mary Ann Black in Govan, Glasgow. It also very helpfully has their marriage date: October 3rd 1880 in Belfast. I just need to locate that record and I am in business!
Ireland:
Antrim: Chisim (Chism/Chisholm), Ross, Black, Dornan, Bell, Gowdy (Goudy), Clawson (Classon), Lockhart (Locket), Rice, Muldoon, Montgomery, McKinley, Cochran, Armstrong, Stewart, Morris

England:
Lindores

Wales:
Johns

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 July 18 21:08 BST (UK) »

I was able to locate him in Scotland. He was born in 1883 to William John Marshall and Mary Ann Black in Govan, Glasgow. It also very helpfully has their marriage date: October 3rd 1880 in Belfast. I just need to locate that record and I am in business!

Canít see any marriage in Belfast between William Marshall and Mary Black on 3.10.1880. However I do see one for William John Marshall and Margaret Black alias Black on 10.10.1881. (She was a widow, and evidently her maiden name was also Black).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1881/11015/8027554.pdf
Elwyn

Offline jdchisim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 July 18 21:27 BST (UK) »
Yes, Gaffy had mentioned it above.

I have done searches on irishgenealogy.ie, rootsireland and GRONI and cannot find any marriages for that date. It must be the 1881 marriage.
Ireland:

England:
Lindores

Wales:
Johns