Author Topic: Woodcote, Fairlight  (Read 7373 times)

Offline trish18

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Woodcote, Fairlight
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 31 March 18 14:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Arthurk & Jools :-*

The marriage of William Ringland and Frances Ethel Cole ended in divorce in April 1896.

The file is on Anc*

The photograph of the pretty nurse from Noytd's wonderful album may possibly be Effie Lyndall (Lyndale) Ringland. She was a V.A.D nurse.

Carroll - Monmouthshire/Glamorganshire/Cork
Hooley - Tattenhall, Cheshire
Lloyd - Gresford, Denbighshire
Platt - Wrexham, Denbighshire
Sullivan- Monmouthshire/Glamorganshire/Cork

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 31 March 18 15:00 BST (UK) »
Woodcote is still standing, you can see the side of it on image No 9 on this link, just beyond the tower of the house next door.  I can't seem to get it on streetview.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=22182835&sale=80864994&country=england
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 31 March 18 16:11 BST (UK) »
William & Frances Ringland's daughter, Aileen Dora Ringland married Howard Leslie SMITH in 1918 in Lewes.  I am trying to work out if there is a connection to Alfred Henry SMITH, who the cars were registered to.

No luck so far, and with a common name like Smith it could be a red herring.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 00:04 BST (UK) »
We know that Frances Ethel Ringland and her two daughters, Aileen Dora and Effie Lyndall, were at Woodcote on 2 April 1911 (when the 1911 census was taken) but we don't know when they arrived or when they left. They were in Wandsworth in 1901 census.

I've been looking through newspapers and have found articles relating to Mrs. Ringland, Miss Effie Ringland and Miss Dora Ringland in Dymchurch (though no specific mention of Woodcote).  The earliest article is in 1907 and the latest in 1915.  The articles themselves don't give many clues, they are mostly reports of local musical plays and social/fund raising events in the village, Effie acted in plays, Mrs. Ringland played piano/organ. 

There are also some advertisements by (Aileen) Dora Ringland selling puppies, and on some she puts her address as NONSUCH, Dymchurch (1910, 1912, 1913)  If you look at the original image of the 1911 the name Woodcote is crossed through and just visible is another word underneath - could that be Nonsuch?   Woodcote is written again below. 

I have also found a 1913 Area Directory record for Mrs. Ringland, Nonsuch, Sycamore Gardens, Dymchurch.  I have browsed though Sycamore Gardens in 1911 and there is no other house called Nonsuch.  So it appears the house may have changed its name at some point.

Just to confuse things, there is an article referring Mr. J H Cooper of Nonsuch in 1910 and also a Miss Fisk of Nonsuch in 1917.

Then I found the article below in the Folkestone, Hythe, Sandgate & Cheriton Herald 31 March 1917.

Effie married in 1916 and Aileen in 1918, so they would have moved on by then.

I'm not sure if this will help in any way.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 20:09 BST (UK) »
I'm sure we are not allowed to post details of the 1911 England Census Summary Books here.  But if you have access have a look at Mrs Ringland, it should help clarify the house name issue  ;)
Robbins - Wolverhampton.

Offline noytd

• RootsChat Member
  • Alfred Jenkins (1882-1956)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 13 April 18 16:21 BST (UK) »
Many kind thanks for all of the responses.

I have tried to follow the life of Mr. Smith, and so far I have been unable to link him to the 1911 Ringland family.

The car registrations would tie Mr. Smith to "Woodcote" between at least 1906 and 1911, with the latest date (based on the cars) being 1913. I have not located the property in 1901 on the census.

I will try to keep building up his immediate family tree to see if anything crops up. I wonder if Woodcote could be the same as the 7 bedroom property? Or even if I could be some sort of annex to a larger neighbouring property?

Offline Joanna Barbour

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 10 June 18 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hallo, I may be able to help with the Bates family . I believe the gentleman with the moustache and pipe in the photo street scene is GUY LOCKINGTON BATES, the father of GUY ERNEST LOCKINGTON BATES. your ad from Mrs GUY BATES, may have been placed by CLARA wife of GLB, or MAB, 2nd wife of GLB:  rather than the wife of GELB.

GLB's father was JOHN LOCKINGTON BATES b.1839.
GLB  b.  1867,
father of
GELB b. 1900
father of RAFE BATES.
JLB was vicar of Iden.
GLB was vicar of Playden

Offline noytd

• RootsChat Member
  • Alfred Jenkins (1882-1956)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 11 June 18 07:45 BST (UK) »
Hallo, I may be able to help with the Bates family . I believe the gentleman with the moustache and pipe in the photo street scene is GUY LOCKINGTON BATES, the father of GUY ERNEST LOCKINGTON BATES. your ad from Mrs GUY BATES, may have been placed by CLARA wife of GLB, or MAB, 2nd wife of GLB:  rather than the wife of GELB.

GLB's father was JOHN LOCKINGTON BATES b.1839.
GLB  b.  1867,
father of
GELB b. 1900
father of RAFE BATES.
JLB was vicar of Iden.
GLB was vicar of Playden

Many kind thanks for the information, I shall certainly look into this  :)

Offline P-Marlowe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 23 August 20 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,
I am not really sure how to use Roots.chat, so bare with me while I learn. You were discussing the home Woodcote, Dymchurch, Kent.  Are you a descendant of Frances Ethel Ringland and one of her daughters Dora or Effie? I am a granddaughter of Frances Ethel's youngest sister Vera. I can take Frances Ethel's Coleman line back to 1705 and much farther on her mother's side. If we are related, I would like to discuss the family with you. Thank you.
Pat M.