Author Topic: Death of Charles Walker  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Suzy100

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death of Charles Walker
« on: Saturday 30 December 17 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am trying to find the death of Charles Walker born 1870 (confirmed GRO) in Lambeth.  Parents were George Walker and Elizabeth Carly (Carley).  He married Alice Maria E Bulley in 1888 aged 18.  In the 1891 census he is living with Alice and children Alice Amelia and Charles (born 1896).  I cannot read his occupation however, but at the time of marriage he was a Postman.  At some point he dies because in 1898 Alice remarries Francis William Gough.  However I cannot find his death anywhere.  I have done a search on the GRO and cannot find anything.  I have searched newspapers but to no avail.  There is some talk of him dying in San Paulo but why he would have been there I just cannot imagine.  I have come to a dead end and any help would be most appreciated.  :)
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Ricketts
Browns
Fletcher
Statham
Baker

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grandchildren sitting on a wooden spider!
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Charles Walker
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 December 17 14:58 GMT (UK) »
I think his occupation in 1891 says Iron Furnace.

Many others on the same page have jobs to do with iron furnaces.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 December 17 15:00 GMT (UK) »
1891 gives his place of birth as Brixton, Surrey.  Occupation could be Iron Turner

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 December 17 15:06 GMT (UK) »
When Charles Walker married Alice Bulley in 1888 he was 19 and a Railway Servant (father George was a Carpenter)  Alice Bulleys father was an Iron Moulder.

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Researcher and ex Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 December 17 15:20 GMT (UK) »
There is some talk of him dying in San Paulo but why he would have been there I just cannot imagine. 

The Sao Paulo railway was built and run by British engineers and staff  - lots of them out there at that time.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 December 17 15:22 GMT (UK) »
It's incidental to what you're searching for, but, like Rosie, I think the 1891 occupation is Iron Turner.

The occupational classification shown on the census form is O 21/8, which according to this form was 'Other Iron and Steel manufacturers' http://www.rootschat.com/links/01l88/  (r-h column,, about half-way down)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 December 17 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked overseas deaths or maybe a passenger list has him travelling abroad  :-\
Hinchliffe Huddersfield Wiltshire

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grandchildren sitting on a wooden spider!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 December 17 15:26 GMT (UK) »
It's incidental to what you're searching for, but, like Rosie, I think the 1891 occupation is Iron Turner.

Okay looking at it again, I can now see Turner as the 2nd word  ;D

Carol

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 December 17 15:30 GMT (UK) »
When Charles Walker married Alice Bulley in 1888 he was 19 and a Railway Servant

OP Suzy100 says he was a postman at time of marriage ???

CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....