Author Topic: Identifying a uniform  (Read 1325 times)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Identifying a uniform
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 December 17 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

After some research I doubt this is her own uniform. When the ATS was started in 1938 they had their own design of service dress. But for normal work dress they wore the 1938 pattern BDs.

They also had their own pattern cap in two versions, the first had a soft peak with cloth strap. The second had a stiff peak with leather strap. The top was soft and small diameter not much larger than the band.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 31 December 17 10:06 GMT (UK) »
The more I look at it, the more I come to the same conclusion, that she is wearing a loved one's uniform.  Like John and Frank, the head dress is what does it for me.  Whatever their affiliation, I believe the women wore their own ATS head dress and not the man's cap as in the pic.

So my caveats and hedging in my first post should have been a bit more definite!  My apologies!

Maxd
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 31 December 17 11:19 GMT (UK) »
My mother was in the ATS and that's not an ATS uniform so I agree with all who say it's a relative's or loved one's uniform she's wearing.

One point - I am an ex WRAF from late 1960s and parts of my uniform buttoned up the male side.

;)
GEDmatch M157477

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 31 December 17 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Good morning,

Apparently when the ATS uniform was designed it was made to button as a mans to accomodate medals and decorations. Like all womens clothing the tunics are tailored to fit the odd shape of womens upper bodies. ;D ;D ;D

This tunic is not shaped like that hence the tight fit. It is possibly a pre war uniform although some troops were initially issued these in early WW2. Not as early as WW1 though as no medal ribbons.

John915
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Cootwife

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 31 December 17 12:28 GMT (UK) »
I can confirm the date as it is stamped on the back of the photo, 1941, I have only just identified the lady.
I should give some explanation, sorry this is long. My aunt sent me the family photos to scan. Many of them were clearly incorrectly labeled, I suspect by my aunt.
We have a large family my great-aunt Sarah the oldest was born in 1877 and the youngest was born in 1900; most went to Canada or the US in the 1910-1920s  This young lady was labeled with the married surname of my great-aunt Alice, but clearly this was wrong.
Also I received a number of letters from my grandfather and other family members to my grandmother and my grandfather's address book. In these they talk about Dorothy and her brother and one aunt, Annie, in particular in Canada writes about her in a very familial way, which I thought was fairly odd. On searching my grandfathers address book (as it is clear he met her from the letters) I got the surname Manbre. Knowing the family were in Liverpool at the time I found Dorothy Manbre with the mothers maiden name as the correct one for my family. The birth certificate clearly shows that my aunt Annie was the mother but she was using her 'husband's' name. However:
I can find no marriage certificate
I can find no divorce
Annie went to Canada in 1926, married there and is given as single on her marriage certificate
Dorothy and her brother were not mentioned in Annie's obituary
It is clear that Dorothy had not met my grandfather before the early 1940s
Before anyone asks if I am certain that this is the correct Annie, she had a very distinctive middle name that she always used.
So the lady I know was 21 at the time of the photo, on the back it says 'to Tom fondest love Dorothy' with the date 30 September 1941. Tom (my grandfather, he died in 1942) was in the navy, her brother I know less about, I'm not sure, but at this point he had been in India for 4.5 years and I've just managed to confirm that he was with the Scottish Borderer's.
I am at an early point in my research as it has taken me in a direction I had not expected. My aunt knew nothing about any of this. She was not married and appears not to have married at least until after 1946.
So in short, I could have messed up but I don't think I have as I've been very careful, but I had a thought, this is her Uncle John, my great-uncle, he fought in WWI in the RGASR (it is marked as Roderick, Roddy, but if this is an Royal Artillery cap then this John), which answers two questions at once. John died in 1937.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 31 December 17 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon,

This is definately RA and like the other photo shows a 1902 pattern battledress, so WW1.

This uniform was in service until 1938 when it was replaced by the new 1938 pattern battledress. This is the style with baggy trousers and blouson style jacket.  Due to the quantity needed some soldiers, in particular TA and "dads army" were initially issued with the 1902 pattern uniform. But this had gone completely by 1941, so the uniform in 1st picture predates the photo she is just dressed up in it.

I am unable to do links at the moment due to a fault on my laptop so can't show any photo's of ATS uniforms. However the jacket is similar to the mens SD version but shaped for the female upper body and flared to accomodate the hips better.

John915
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 31 December 17 15:35 GMT (UK) »
The RGASR is two abbreviations run into one.  His regiment was the Royal Garrison Artillery RGA and he was a Special Reservist SR which meant he had joined pre-war on a part time basis.  The SR men were mobilized in August 1914.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia