Author Topic: My latest death cert  (Read 1911 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
My latest death cert
« on: Saturday 30 December 17 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Just received a batch of certs (yay!)

Including... a death certificate with no cause of death on it  :-\

One might have thought that a rather important point...

>:(

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: My latest death cert
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 December 17 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Until 1874 entering the cause of death was not a legal requirement, but from 1874 a doctor's certificate was necessary before a death certificate could be issued.

Stan
Mapstone, Mapston.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 December 17 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.

I am a little bit mad about it though, the cause of death was the whole reason I bought the cert  ::)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 December 17 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.

I am a little bit mad about it though, the cause of death was the whole reason I bought the cert  ::)

That must be maddening! I have found with some London Deaths that I have managed to avoid ordering the Cert by finding the Death Register Entries; which give the cause of Death. I don't know if this just applies to London though? (London Death Registries are on Ancestry).

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 December 17 16:21 GMT (UK) »
In terms of burials only rarely have I found cause of death mentioned with my relatives. In fact, I can only think of one off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure I must have looked for this little guy's burial but apparently not found it yet.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 December 17 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Until 1874 entering the cause of death was not a legal requirement, but from 1874 a doctor's certificate was necessary before a death certificate could be issued.

Stan

For the background see http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=658541.msg5074709#msg5074709

Stan
Mapstone, Mapston.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 January 18 14:39 GMT (UK) »
In terms of burials only rarely have I found cause of death mentioned with my relatives. In fact, I can only think of one off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure I must have looked for this little guy's burial but apparently not found it yet.

I'll see if I can attach this Burial Register. My G/Grandfather is the bottom entry, left hand page.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 January 18 15:23 GMT (UK) »
I too have cause of death in the burial registers - pre 1837.  London, and my favourite parish registers for Tadcaster, where parents are also cited.  The baptisms are even more wonderful - parents and grandparents with occupations, day and date of birth and the same for the baptism.  :D :D

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 January 18 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Regretfully only my paternal side is London and surrounding. My maternal side favours multiple areas around the UK usually focusing in towns and villages only just large enough to bother a map maker.