Author Topic: My latest death cert  (Read 3539 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
My latest death cert
« on: Saturday 30 December 17 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Just received a batch of certs (yay!)

Including... a death certificate with no cause of death on it  :-\

One might have thought that a rather important point...

>:(

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: My latest death cert
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 December 17 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Until 1874 entering the cause of death was not a legal requirement, but from 1874 a doctor's certificate was necessary before a death certificate could be issued.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 December 17 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.

I am a little bit mad about it though, the cause of death was the whole reason I bought the cert  ::)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 December 17 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.

I am a little bit mad about it though, the cause of death was the whole reason I bought the cert  ::)

That must be maddening! I have found with some London Deaths that I have managed to avoid ordering the Cert by finding the Death Register Entries; which give the cause of Death. I don't know if this just applies to London though? (London Death Registries are on Ancestry).

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 December 17 16:21 GMT (UK) »
In terms of burials only rarely have I found cause of death mentioned with my relatives. In fact, I can only think of one off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure I must have looked for this little guy's burial but apparently not found it yet.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 December 17 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Until 1874 entering the cause of death was not a legal requirement, but from 1874 a doctor's certificate was necessary before a death certificate could be issued.

Stan

For the background see http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=658541.msg5074709#msg5074709

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 January 18 14:39 GMT (UK) »
In terms of burials only rarely have I found cause of death mentioned with my relatives. In fact, I can only think of one off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure I must have looked for this little guy's burial but apparently not found it yet.

I'll see if I can attach this Burial Register. My G/Grandfather is the bottom entry, left hand page.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 January 18 15:23 GMT (UK) »
I too have cause of death in the burial registers - pre 1837.  London, and my favourite parish registers for Tadcaster, where parents are also cited.  The baptisms are even more wonderful - parents and grandparents with occupations, day and date of birth and the same for the baptism.  :D :D

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 January 18 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Regretfully only my paternal side is London and surrounding. My maternal side favours multiple areas around the UK usually focusing in towns and villages only just large enough to bother a map maker.