Author Topic: My latest death cert  (Read 3476 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: My latest death cert
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Medical Certificate  of Cause of Death Notes for Doctors
"Old age, senility – do not use ‘old age’ or ‘senility’ as the only cause of death in Part I unless a more specific cause of death cannot be given and the deceased was aged 70 or over." http://www.rootschat.com/links/01l8t/

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Medical Certificate  of Cause of Death Notes for Doctors
"Old age, senility – do not use ‘old age’ or ‘senility’ as the only cause of death in Part I unless a more specific cause of death cannot be given and the deceased was aged 70 or over." http://www.rootschat.com/links/01l8t/

Stan

That's out of date - the age limit is now 80+ .....

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Even saying like "Called by God" or something equally vague would be acceptable compared to nothing.

Yes, I did get the cert from GRO. I can try contacting the Kendal RO but it may be as suggested previously that the cause was omitted, especially in a cert as early as 1841.

I got a batch of child deaths just for curiosity. Makes for sad reading.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 21:13 GMT (UK) »
I got a batch of child deaths just for curiosity. Makes for sad reading.

I too have bought a number of child death certs (using the pdf advantage), both for interest re the cause, but also as a way to plot their movements, and yes, some very sad stories including some families with a number of infant deaths (all had causes though, inc one ‘found dead in bed’ resulting in an inquest).
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 21:23 GMT (UK) »
There is a essay on Infant Mortality at  http://www.rootschat.com/links/08ev/   

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 21:25 GMT (UK) »
This latest batch:

Inflammation, aged 3 months
Enteritis, aged 4 days
Typhus Fever 4 days, aged 7 years
Tabes Mesenterica 4 weeks, aged 3 years
Rubeola 8 weeks Tabes Mesenterica 1 week, aged 1 year
And of course the above chap.

I also have an ancestor who died in 1851- found his burial but doesn't appear to be any corresponding death cert!

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 21:31 GMT (UK) »
One of my 4 x g.grandmothers died on 14 October 1837 in Egremont Cumberland and buried on 16 October, but there is no death certificate for her.  What there is, however, is a parish record giving her date of death, which the local archivist kindly found for me.  It's always worth contacting them, if GRO haven't got what you are looking for.

Have you looked on FreeBMD for a death record of your ancestor, GRO accept they have quite a few records not on their site at the moment.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 21:35 GMT (UK) »
I looked on several databases. The only theory I've really come up with is that he died on board ship (he was a mariner) and got buried in the church yard next to the ship's next port. The Deaths at Sea register began in 1852  ::)

I've emailed Kendal :)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 21:56 GMT (UK) »
I thought he was only 8 years old. Was he already a mariner 🤔
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....