Author Topic: My latest death cert  (Read 3538 times)

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: My latest death cert
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 21:58 GMT (UK) »
I have an ancestor who died in December 1864 and I have her burial but no death cert has been found. Her burial gives her place of residence, which is where she always lived. Again there can be several reasons, some entries were garbled or missed off the BMD register or death not registered even though I am sure a death cert had to be given for a burial when civil reg began.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 22:46 GMT (UK) »
I thought he was only 8 years old. Was he already a mariner 🤔

We are talking about two separate people now ;)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 23:38 GMT (UK) »

Sorry  :-[
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 01:34 GMT (UK) »

Sorry  :-[

Don't worry. Sorry I confused you :)

The original gripe about the missing cause of death was the eight year old.
A few posts ago I mentioned an ancestor who didn't have a death cert at all- he was the mariner.

:)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 07:04 GMT (UK) »
I thought i'd kept on top of the thread, but no worries. 😀

I'd have been very disappointed too if i'd had no cause of death. Hope the local office can help.

Reminds me i have a few more to buy before the pdf trial stops.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 09:46 GMT (UK) »
I looked on several databases. The only theory I've really come up with is that he died on board ship (he was a mariner) and got buried in the church yard next to the ship's next port. The Deaths at Sea register began in 1852  ::)

As I mentioned in another thread recently, coastal parishes (in my case Formby, Lancs) frequently buried unidentified bodies 'cast up by the Tide', usually 'a Man', but occasionally a woman or child.  Mariners lost at sea will often have no known grave, although they may well have been buried somewhere, and their loss at sea may be recorded.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 10:30 GMT (UK) »
I'm reasonably confident it is his burial- right area for his MN records, his name wasn't massively common, the age matches and his MN records end that year. I think he might well have been estranged from his family at this point so perhaps they didn't seek to have him moved to their home area. The abode on the burial just says "infirmary", which we did wonder if it was workhouse, but again no corresponding certificate. I did buy one for someone with the same surname in case it was mucked up but it wasn't him. I think he's one of life's great mysteries  ::)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 15:50 GMT (UK) »
I once had a similar disappointment when at the Durham Archives.  I was searching for a great x 2 Grandfather's marriage record on my Mother's side.  I was trying to find the name of his Father.  However, I discovered that at the particular Church he married at whoever had filled out the paper work on all marriages for that period had chosen to omit all details for everyone's Fathers completely!! ::) >:(   
(Including names and occupation for Fathers on loads of marriages.)

I wrote to the registrars to see if it would be worth buying the certificate but was told that the Fathers were not on the certificate either.

I have an idea who his Father was but just wanted to confirm it.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 16:46 GMT (UK) »
I've got one marriage which simply reads "[date] William Brady to Isabel"  ::)

Just got a reply from Kendal Archives- they don't have the certificates but did look up his burial- no cause of death, as I suspected. Will try their recommended people :)