Author Topic: David Hutchison and Jane Lodge  (Read 2473 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: David Hutchison and Jane Lodge
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 February 18 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Martha, married 9 September 1892,  father listed as Railway S??? (sorry, can't make the second word out)
David, married 24 July 1905, father listed as Railway S???man (still can't make out second word, possibly 'serviceman')
Surfaceman. A very common occupation - these were the men who walked the lines looking for flaws and checking that the lines and sleepers were lying correctly.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline HongKong Phooey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 April 18 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
I'm new to Roots Chat but have been fascinated by your discussion on David Hutchison and Jane Lodge.  I have many of the same documents as they are my 2nd Great Grandparents.  I am descended from David Hutchison (Jnr) and Elizabeth Hyland, who had 2 sons, Richard and David.  I would be interested to know if anyone has traced the death record for David Hutchison (Senior)? I have only seen Jane's death cert from 1870.  It does seem unusual that David was a Potter and Railway Surfaceman, maybe a Potter by trade but not much money to be made from it as the industrial revolution progressed?  Also, could I ask if the great grandchild of Martha Hutchison (b 1875) who began this topic; is descended from her marriage of Patrick Keenan or John Davidson?  My grandfather Richard remembered his elder sister fondly and named one of his daughters Mary, after Martha.  Thanks again for your information and discussion.

Offline ariedl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
I'm new to Roots Chat but have been fascinated by your discussion on David Hutchison and Jane Lodge.  I have many of the same documents as they are my 2nd Great Grandparents.  I am descended from David Hutchison (Jnr) and Elizabeth Hyland, who had 2 sons, Richard and David.  I would be interested to know if anyone has traced the death record for David Hutchison (Senior)? I have only seen Jane's death cert from 1870.  It does seem unusual that David was a Potter and Railway Surfaceman, maybe a Potter by trade but not much money to be made from it as the industrial revolution progressed?

Welcome! I don't have much information on the elder David Hutchison, but I haven't made an extremely thorough go of it yet. I'm still confused by some of the info I've found on David junior, so I haven't moved past him yet.

Also, could I ask if the great grandchild of Martha Hutchison (b 1875) who began this topic; is descended from her marriage of Patrick Keenan or John Davidson?  My grandfather Richard remembered his elder sister fondly and named one of his daughters Mary, after Martha.  Thanks again for your information and discussion.

I'm descended from the marriage of Martha Hutchison and Patrick Keenan. I would love to compare notes or trees if you're interested. If so, I can send you my email address via private message.

Thanks for posting!
Alec

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 12:09 BST (UK) »
It does seem unusual that David was a Potter and Railway Surfaceman, maybe a Potter by trade but not much money to be made from it as the industrial revolution progressed?
I don't think that is at all odd.

Bear in the mind that the majority of the railways were built in the mid-19th century, leading to a big demand for railway workers. Maybe David didn't much like being a potter, and/or his business was declining because hand-made pottery was being supplanted by much cheaper factory-made china and crockery. It would be quite credible for him to change careers to one that offered far better job security and probably better pay than the uncertain returns from hawking.

It's a bit like the late 20th century, when people from all walks of life in the Aberdeen area changed career to work in the oil industry.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline HongKong Phooey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 19:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the responses.  Yes Alec, I would be happy to share trees or any information that may help each other.  I have a reasonable amount of info on David Jnr, I don't have so much on the wider family, I keep hitting dead ends.  Having finally made contact with another Hutchison descendent I'm motivated to start searching again.  Kind regards, Beccy.