Author Topic: New Series - A House through Time  (Read 15252 times)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New Series - A House through Time
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 06 January 18 18:02 GMT (UK) »
I also disagree that people outside Lancashire would be unlikely to be aware of the significance of the American Civil War, otherwise I would not have found some of my ancestors from Kent and Wiltshire involved in it.

I enjoyed the programme and will withhold criticism until I have seen the remaining two episodes.

I agree people the length and breadth of Britain would know about the American Civil War a quick search on FindMyPast UK newspapers shows 6,758 articles about it between 1861 and 1869 with 1755 in 1862 alone. People would also feel the effects here in the UK, one article in 1865 was titled 'The fall of Richmond and its effects on English Commerce, there were shortages of cotton substitutes were selling at inflated prices

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 06 January 18 18:17 GMT (UK) »
I see that there is a repeat of the first episode on BBC2 this evening at 7.15pm.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 08 January 18 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Incidentally the house, 62 Falkner street is now up for sale for £600,000.00
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 08 January 18 18:57 GMT (UK) »
I rather enjoyed the first episode, partly because I have ancestors working as carters at the docks in Liverpool (my lineage) and well to do merchants on my husband's side. My 4x G grandmother also spent a night in Lancaster prison (under a false charge) so a glimpse of the cells was cool. I thought the contrast in lives between the various occupants interesting ie. riches to possible rags and vice versa. Diverting to explore the lives of the inhabitants brought more human interest, it may have been a little dry for many otherwise. I do think it is important that people have an understanding of historical events and their impact on lives at the time and therefore our lives now. The presenter would have been horrified by some of my very distant ancestors who were slave traders in Lancaster!
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 12 January 18 10:10 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure if I should start this with SPOILER ALERT, so I will just in case anyone hasn't seen episode two and doesn't want to know.

I need to watch this again, as I was half asleep last night, but I was a bit disappointed to see the extraordinary story about the couple who started divorce proceedings and which ended with the wife, alone, looking after her husband's  two illegitimate  children was simply left in mid air. I know David Olusoga  said nothing more was known about them, and I'm quite sure the programme's researchers tried, but I just wondered if Roots Chatters could do a more thorough job?

It did occur to me that they may have traced the family and descendants might not have been happy for too much investigation to be done, but if that was the case, why mention it at all?

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 12 January 18 12:49 GMT (UK) »
I totally agree with you, Carole :)

I thought of doing some forward sleuthing but didn't register all of the names - etc.  All I can remember was the wife's name was Ann Robertson  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 12 January 18 13:19 GMT (UK) »
I really don't get the interest in the history of people living in a random house!

Its a house - there are millions of them and its not yours. The people living in it aren't or weren't connected to you. They could be anybody. No..just don't get it.

However, a chacun son gout. as they say. 
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 12 January 18 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Actually, Gadget, I think the surname was Robinson. I tried a bit of "sleuthing" last night  but failed miserably. It is quite easy to find Alfred in the censuses up to 1891 and to see him married in 1881 and 1891 (and presumably his death in 1893). Unfortunately I cannot see a marriage for Alfred and Ann (or Annie) to establish her maiden name and given that the two daughters would have a different mother's maiden name I can understand how identifying what happened to Ann and the two girls after Allfred's death is problematic. I can see possible entries in 1901 for Ann(ie) and Alice in 1901 but they are in service in different households

(By comparison the Lublin family is quite easy to follow!).

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 12 January 18 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks William - as I said I didn't register the names properly until he moved onto the next occupants. I was expecting to find out about their life afterwards.

I supposed that after they moved to 64, it didn't fit the script.

I'll have another look for them later with your finds to work on  :)

I recall that the woman was Adele Brown MS Savage - or have I mis-remembered  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***