Author Topic: New Series - A House through Time  (Read 15266 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: New Series - A House through Time
« Reply #90 on: Sunday 28 January 18 18:37 GMT (UK) »
I hope there is another series. I also enjoyed the Britain in the Blitz series about the bombs dropped on Hull, Bristol, Glasgow and Liverpool, if my memory serves me correct? 😀😊

Judy

I'm worried that any future series will forced to be about London. The media are horrendously London-centric, and are convinced that there is nothing worth looking at beyond the North Circular and South Circular. "The Secret History of Our Streets", for example, was about six streets in London. Someone must have complained very loudly, because series 2 consisted of three programmes about Scotland.

For 75 years, the Blitz, according to virtually all radio and TV programmes, was an attack on London; the destruction of Coventry was just an aberration. The recent "Blitz: Bombs that Changed Britain", and the 2015 "Blitz Cities" have been most welcome.

Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Sunday 28 January 18 18:43 GMT (UK) »
I hope there is another series. I also enjoyed the Britain in the Blitz series about the bombs dropped on Hull, Bristol, Glasgow and Liverpool, if my memory serves me correct? 😀😊

Judy

I'm worried that any future series will forced to be about London. The media are horrendously London-centric, and are convinced that there is nothing worth looking at beyond the North Circular and South Circular. "The Secret History of Our Streets", for example, was about six streets in London. Someone must have complained very loudly, because series 2 consisted of three programmes about Scotland.

For 75 years, the Blitz, according to virtually all radio and TV programmes, was an attack on London; the destruction of Coventry was just an aberration. The recent "Blitz: Bombs that Changed Britain", and the 2015 "Blitz Cities" have been most welcome.

We'll have to keep our fingers crossed.  At least this was about Liverpool and indeed did talk about the awful damage in terms of loss of life as well as buildings from the WWII bombs.

Having spent a bit of time looking at the Civilian Deaths record of WWII - it's a terrible document, and reading between the lines very poignant - there is a programme to be made about some of the people who sadly lost their lives.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Monday 29 January 18 11:01 GMT (UK) »
As someone else  said, I wasn't very taken with the first episode, feeling that a lot of research that must've been there was glossed over, and quite a bit of "supposing" added ... but it was worth persisting with, in that I'd have felt wrong if I'd missed later episodes.
It's nothing to do with the presenter, although I don't know him from anything else, his casual manner worked well - the one I've found most irritating recently, with her elegantly slouchy "look at me" walk and bizarre outfits is the woman Fashion expert who I can't recall the name of, in "A stitch in time", where more talented people analyse and attempt to create an approximation of various outfits from painting, ( then she "does a Lucy Worsley" dressing up in them). Hey, there's a thought - a "Dress-Up Off" between her and Ms Worsley! I think I've just invented a new Television series!

You're right about the southern bias. It must come as a shock to the Powers That Be at broadcasting HQs that we do exist north of the Watford Gap .... and we've a heck of a lot of history to prove it!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Monday 29 January 18 11:24 GMT (UK) »
We'll have to keep our fingers crossed.  At least this was about Liverpool and indeed did talk about the awful damage in terms of loss of life as well as buildings from the WWII bombs.

Having spent a bit of time looking at the Civilian Deaths record of WWII - it's a terrible document, and reading between the lines very poignant - there is a programme to be made about some of the people who sadly lost their lives.

There was some chatter online around the Blitz series about various other areas that were not mentioned and the usual concentration on the bombing of London but it is a fact that most bombs were dropped on the South East.  People obviously remember the raids on their own towns and even though often there were casualties, it was often a handful of raids on that area.  I recently read General Pile's book, they were often criticised for not having guns at these areas but they were desperately short of guns and manpower and if they did move them then the raids would have moved elsewhere by the time they were ready.  I would have liked more on the defences in the Blitz series, the four programmes got very repetitive.

BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
A House Through Time.
« Reply #94 on: Monday 05 February 18 12:15 GMT (UK) »
I can't recollect seeing any posts on R.C. about the above B.B.C.2 programme.

For those of you who have not seen the programme it was the story of the occupants of one house, 62 Falkener Street, Liverpool 8 (Toxteth), from the time it was built to the present day. It would be well worth watching on line if you missed it.

There must be a lots of other houses throughout the country with stories just as interesting. This one was in a city and showed  how things changed through the years in many ways.

I think, perhaps, if another series is forthcoming, a house in the countryside may be worth looking at as there will have been just as much social change in the countryside as in the city.
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A House Through Time.
« Reply #95 on: Monday 05 February 18 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Yes, there is a thread somewhere. I will try to find it.   :)

Added: here it is:
topic merged

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
Re: A House Through Time.
« Reply #96 on: Monday 05 February 18 12:28 GMT (UK) »
...... and me too, now. ::)  I rather suspected it was there somewhere.
 Still, it was a superb series.
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Monday 05 February 18 14:05 GMT (UK) »
I've thoroughly enjoyed the series. I hope they will make another, although I'm sure there was some very time consuming research that went on behind the scenes.

Bearing in mind that they have to make these programmes entertaining for the general public and not just those of us who are interested in genealogy or family history, I think they did a pretty good job.  My daughter, who isn't particularly interested in family history thought it was 'Brilliant'   

Chris

Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett