Author Topic: New Series - A House through Time  (Read 15261 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: New Series - A House through Time
« Reply #81 on: Saturday 27 January 18 20:21 GMT (UK) »
I've watched a few episodes of this programme but have found my attention wandering. I don't find the presenter at all engaging and can't help but compare hm with that great presenter of historical programmes, Lucy Worsley. Lucy brings history to life whereas this fellow seems to make it just .... well, dull.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Saturday 27 January 18 20:57 GMT (UK) »
I've watched a few episodes of this programme but have found my attention wandering. I don't find the presenter at all engaging and can't help but compare hm with that great presenter of historical programmes, Lucy Worsley. Lucy brings history to life whereas this fellow seems to make it just .... well, dull.

I have seen a few of his series but never impressed, he always seems to have his own agenda.

BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Saturday 27 January 18 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Well it takes all sorts - I like him a lot and have been impressed by his engagement with the various occupants of the house.

It may not take all family history researchers the same way, but however mistakenly (because how can one ever tell) I have been imaginatively involved with those I've researched and cannot help but guess what they must have thought and felt in often difficult circumstances.

I think David Olusoga has been excellent

Lucy Worsley is lovely but not engaged in the same way.

In my opinion that is! No offence to anyone else's.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Sunday 28 January 18 00:20 GMT (UK) »
I agree with IgorStrav, I find David Olusoga engaging and have liked the other programmes he's made too.  A number of his programmes involve historical subjects that don't get as much airtime which can only be good.  The current series as advertised was looking at British history through the lives of the people who lived in the house so its not just a history of the house itself or the people that lived in and personally I think its been very well done.

Some of Lucy Worsley's more recent programmes have not held my attention much but some of her earlier series have been good.  While its been suggested David Olusoga has his own agenda, the same could be said for LW who admitted to not having a background in Russian history prior to making the series she did the other year but wanted to look into that period and country.  Personally as someone who has studied Russian history, I found it a little boring but I know others that liked it.

To be honest you could say any historian, or for that matter any one else, has their own agenda depending on how they put across something.

I appreciate that some haven't liked A House through Time as much as others, but if everyone liked the same things, it would get very boring.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Sunday 28 January 18 07:50 GMT (UK) »
Well said. I wasn't too sure about this programme but I stuck with it and I'm glad.

My OH and I enjoyed it though there were moments when we didn't know where it was going. A lot of interesting research had been done. History was brought to life by introducing the various families along the way.

I hope there is another series. I also enjoyed the Britain in the Blitz series about the bombs dropped on Hull, Bristol, Glasgow and Liverpool, if my memory serves me correct? 😀😊

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Sunday 28 January 18 15:34 GMT (UK) »
I enjoyed it but I do feel that he assumed a bit too much about the character of the house's occupants - how they got/lost their money, what they did in the house and how they felt - but then it is a popular history programme.

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Sunday 28 January 18 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Exactly. He does seem to go off in his own direction, and assume quite a bit!
A decent enough presenter, but not in my opinion quite thorough enough research in some ways, perhaps...
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Sunday 28 January 18 18:20 GMT (UK) »
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/dec/31/domestic-stories-restless-ghosts-a-house-through-time-david-olusoga-social-history

This is a very interesting article about what historian David Olusoga felt whilst participating in the programme.

He says here that reading the archive documentation sourced by researchers whilst actually in the house itself in Falkner Street led to his feeling of intimacy with some of the previous occupants, 'a close encounter between historian and subject'.

He also says that he felt genuine dislike for some of the people, and he knows well that this is completely unacceptable and unreasonable, but nevertheless this is what he felt.

"To pass judgment on anyone – living or dead – on the basis of a handful of letters and ledger entries is palpably unfair and arguably ridiculous, and yet, in this case, almost impossible to resist."

Personally, I liked the involvement.  I was particularly moved by the last episode which discussed, amongst other things, the death of the musician/restaurateur of the bottom flat.  It was a moment in time which I recall very forcefully - I had a friend and work colleague who died of AIDS - and is as much a historical event worth remembering as the longer-ago subjects.

I, too, feel very personally involved with those I research.  I'm quite aware that what I think about them is very likely wrong, but I feel it anyway.

And I think if people are encouraged to feel involved, then their understanding of history is amplified.  Bit like colouring First World War photographs, because suddenly they're not black/white or sepia figments but live young lads just like those you know. 

Might it help us remember lessons of the past?

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Sunday 28 January 18 18:30 GMT (UK) »
[quote author=IgorStrav

And I think if people are encouraged to feel involved, then their understanding of history is amplified.  Bit like colouring First World War photographs, because suddenly they're not black/white or sepia figments but live young lads just like those you know. 

Might it help us remember lessons of the past?
[/quote]

I agree. My grandson is going to Poland next month to visit Krakow and will visit Auschwitz as part of his 'A' Level studies. I will be interested to hear his thoughts when he returns.

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire