Author Topic: Info on Charles Debrooks/Daybrooks/Debrix  (Read 268 times)

Offline MrDudley

• RootsChat Senior
  • 12th Grt Grandfather Sir John Barnard of Abington
    • View Profile
Info on Charles Debrooks/Daybrooks/Debrix
« on: Saturday 30 December 17 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'm looking for more info on my 6th grt grandfather Charles Debrooks.
He was a private in the 1st Dragoon Guards and married Judith WATLER/WATLEN Feb 1797 Salisbury, Wiltshire. On his marriage he is listed as a Private 1st Dragoon Guards.

I cant find a baptism for him or a discharge record or anything relating to his service. Apparently he is on some muster rolls a distant cousin told me but I cant see them.

His first son John was born in Croydon, Surrey 1800 (There is no baptism but I've been told he Charles and the dragoons were stationed here?) he then goes onto have a son Thomas and daughter Sarah in Derby before settling and having 2 more children in Leicester.

The difficulty is that the surname has alot of variations going by records. He is listed as:
Charles Debrooks/Daybrooks/Daybrooke/Debrox/Deborax/Devereux. On his marriage he is listed as Debrooks and on Thomas/Sarahs baptism he is listed as Daybrooks/Daybrook. His last 2 childrens baptisms he is listed as Deborax and his burial he is Charles Devereux 1825 Leicester.
All of his children and descendants used Debrox/Deborax/Debrex, This surname doesn't seem to be Devereux.

Any help would be appreciated.
Dudley of Cosby/Odstone - Gentry Land Owners
Bent of Cosby - Lords of the Manor and Gentry
Swynfen of Sutton Cheney- Gentry Land Owners
Cotes of Aylestone - Gentry Land Owners
Halford of Wistow - Baronets & Gentry Land Owners
Cotton of Dadlington - Gentry Land Owners
Elkington of Wistow - Yeoman & Gentry Merchants
Barnard of Abington - Gentry & Lords of the Manor
Billings of Rolleston/Cottingham - Gentry & Yeoman

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.