Author Topic: Such a muddle I'm in now  (Read 5463 times)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Such a muddle I'm in now
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 30 December 17 23:26 GMT (UK) »
The 1851 census quoted in the opening post shows Alexander's occupation as ships master. Does the log attached above not show that the Alexander quoted did not attain his masters until 1857?

Note that the children showing in the 1851 census are with other family members in 1861 - Duncan showing as nephew of David and Margaret McGuire ( might she be a McPhee as there is a marriage of a David McGuire and Margaret McPhee in Hutchenstown in 1855?).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 30 December 17 23:31 GMT (UK) »
The records on FindMyPast have a ticket number of 224,681 which i will try and trace if possible
That record is for an Alexander born in Lochgilphead in 1822 ( no precise date) who first went to sea a a Boy in 1837. Lives in Lochgilphead when not at sea. Ticketed in 1845 at Glasgow in 1847 age 25.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline manda_mcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 30 December 17 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Milmoor thanks for reply
Without claiming any serious knowledge on the subject it is my understanding as picked up while searching there was a change in law am sure 1854? wherby mates and masters had to be ticketed and this was firstly a voluntary step and was phased into compulsary by 1858. ( not accurate) Alexander when passing both masters and mates certificates had providede the ships he was on as the board would then offer a ceretificate of competancy based on the experience if they thought it suffice . Hope if i am too far off with the info someone will correct me
MCDOUGALL (Glasgow and Glassary, Argyllshire), SINCLAIR (Lanarkshire), CAMPBELL (Aberdeen, Ayr and Gorbals), DOLAN (Greenock), RUSH, BELL, COUSIN(S), PATERSON, KERR, DEARIE, KENNY, GORMLEY, (mostly from Ireland to Glasgow) GILLIES (Glassary & Lochgilphead) McFIE or MCPHEE,

Offline manda_mcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 30 December 17 23:48 GMT (UK) »
The records on FindMyPast have a ticket number of 224,681 which i will try and trace if possible
That record is for an Alexander born in Lochgilphead in 1822 ( no precise date) who first went to sea a a Boy in 1837. Lives in Lochgilphead when not at sea. Ticketed in 1845 at Glasgow in 1847 age 25.
Isobel
isobel thank you as said already i really am at a loss with this any suggestions as to how i could proceed with my research? thanks a million xx
MCDOUGALL (Glasgow and Glassary, Argyllshire), SINCLAIR (Lanarkshire), CAMPBELL (Aberdeen, Ayr and Gorbals), DOLAN (Greenock), RUSH, BELL, COUSIN(S), PATERSON, KERR, DEARIE, KENNY, GORMLEY, (mostly from Ireland to Glasgow) GILLIES (Glassary & Lochgilphead) McFIE or MCPHEE,

Offline manda_mcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 31 December 17 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Just checked my records and the children are as follows with John  and Agnes both at
Curries land lochgilphead with their maiden aunts both sisters of Alexander b1822

Margaret McDougal   24   1837 Lochgilphead   Draper
Mary McDougal      39   1822 Lochgilphead
John McDougal      13   1848 Lochgilphead   Scolar
Agnes McDougal      11   1850 Lochgilphead    Scholar

1861 census
David Mcquire   58, missionary born Dunlop, Ayr
Margaret Mcquire   43, wife, born Lochgilphead
Margaret Mcquire   4, Daughter, born Gorbals
William Mcquire   1, son, born Govan.
Duncan Mcdougall   14, nephew, 7 Salisbury St, Govan, assistant in shipping office, born Lochgilphead.
Isabella Gillies   11, niece, servant, born Lochgilphead.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 31 December 17 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Just to say that I think the Mcquire transcription for 1861 is incorrect - it should be McGuire. Hence my reference to the 1855 marriage (David McGuire is showing as a widower in 1851).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline manda_mcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 31 December 17 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Yeah I agree will you on the error in transcription I only copied it as written

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 31 December 17 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Surely this could be Alexander McDougall's death:

Alexander McDougal  aged 33 - Seaman (Master)  (widower) - died Arbroath Infirmary on 11/8/1856 of strangulated hernia.

He could well have been taken ill whilst on board ship and taken to the nearest hospital which was Arbroath.  Name, age and occupation all right.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline manda_mcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 31 December 17 16:35 GMT (UK) »
I have this death certificate but can't read any information from it other than what you said above looks like matron reported his death and he was buried in arbroath churchyard which i can find nothing of i will upload the cert maybe someone can read more of it