Author Topic: Such a muddle I'm in now  (Read 5418 times)

Offline manda_mcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Such a muddle I'm in now
« on: Saturday 30 December 17 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Not sure where to post this but owing to my own foolishness i have been left with a huge setback in my research of ancestor Alexander McDougall b Glassary Argyll 4 Sept 1822 son of Duncan McDougall and Ann Gillies. According to his sons Marriage cert Alexander was a master Mariner who Married Agnes McFie
The family at the time of 1851 census were together
Alexander MacDugall   28 Head Ship master b Kilmichael, argyleshire
Agnes MacDugall   25
Duncan MacDugall   5
John MacDugall   3
Agnes MacDugall   1

there are two entries which appear to be Alexanders marriage one states the 3rd of May 1845
Alexander Mcdougall m 3 May 1845 Ann Mcfie Glassary Argyll

the other  21 May 1845 in Barony
Alexander Mcdougall m Agnes Mcfie 21 May 1845 Barony,Lanark

reads as follows
 Alexander McDougall Seaman of Lochgilphead Parish of Kilmichael, Glassary, and Agnes McFie residing in Barony Parish on 21st of May 1845 at Lochgilphead by rev William Mclachlan Minister of the reformed Presbyterian Chapel parish of Kilmichael

At this point i had thought this was the same marriage as Agnes/Annie are both used when his wife is mentioned elsewhere

I made contact with someone on a site who appeared to be researching the same person which led to me mistakenly pursuing a career as a mariner ships dates etc for the wrong Alexander McDougall the guy had all the right relatives etc but mariner ticket 100043 belonged to Another Alexander McDougall born in Lochgilphead APRIL 1823  now i am at a loss as to which is the right wedding detail and how to trace my Alexanders mariners or seamans ticket?
 what it appears like is two Alexander McDougalls both born in Argyll within a year and both pursued a career in the merchant service possibly both  married in May 1845

any help appreciated i feel rather deflated
MCDOUGALL (Glasgow and Glassary, Argyllshire), SINCLAIR (Lanarkshire), CAMPBELL (Aberdeen, Ayr and Gorbals), DOLAN (Greenock), RUSH, BELL, COUSIN(S), PATERSON, KERR, DEARIE, KENNY, GORMLEY, (mostly from Ireland to Glasgow) GILLIES (Glassary & Lochgilphead) McFIE or MCPHEE,

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: Such a muddle I'm in now
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 December 17 21:17 GMT (UK) »
What makes you think the marriage entries are not for the same couple?
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 December 17 21:19 GMT (UK) »
I think it would be best to purchase both entries from ScotlandsPeople.  It wasn't uncommon for the marriage to be recorded in two parishes - one being where they actually married and the other being the home parish of one of the bride or groom.  It's likely these two records are for the same couple. 

I bought a record recently for a marriage record from Resolis.  Now that I've seen the record it is actually is for proclaiming the banns of marriage, and it says that the marriage took place in Edinburgh. 

I don't currently have a FindMyPast sub, but they have a seaman's record for an Alex MacDougald born 1828 in Lochgilphead.  It's possible to just buy some credits at FindMyPast rather than take out a sub. 

There's two mariner's records for Alexander MacDougald born 1822 in Lochgilphead.  They may be the same person or two different people.

Offline manda_mcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 December 17 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks both for your replies i have purchased both entries from SP  will upload image just now
MCDOUGALL (Glasgow and Glassary, Argyllshire), SINCLAIR (Lanarkshire), CAMPBELL (Aberdeen, Ayr and Gorbals), DOLAN (Greenock), RUSH, BELL, COUSIN(S), PATERSON, KERR, DEARIE, KENNY, GORMLEY, (mostly from Ireland to Glasgow) GILLIES (Glassary & Lochgilphead) McFIE or MCPHEE,

Offline manda_mcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 December 17 21:44 GMT (UK) »
The first had to crop as was too big

Offline manda_mcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 December 17 21:46 GMT (UK) »
and 2nd

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 December 17 21:48 GMT (UK) »
The "other" Alexander McDougall appears to have lived in Greenock and, I think, is recorded there on both the 1851 and 1861 censuses.( It is a Greenock address which appears on the masters and mates cert). Censuses also suggest that his wife was called Eliza or Elizabeth (maiden name was possibly Wells). I, therefore, think that the marriages you have found are correct.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline manda_mcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 December 17 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Yes thats actually how i had first realised i was with the wrong guy as the address of his family with wife Eliz and children matched the masters certificate . Not a mistake i will make again without checking everything.  Checked FindMyPast and the info available doesnt really provide me with anymore clues am afraid :(

Offline manda_mcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 December 17 22:07 GMT (UK) »
I think it would be best to purchase both entries from ScotlandsPeople.  It wasn't uncommon for the marriage to be recorded in two parishes - one being where they actually married and the other being the home parish of one of the bride or groom.  It's likely these two records are for the same couple. 

I bought a record recently for a marriage record from Resolis.  Now that I've seen the record it is actually is for proclaiming the banns of marriage, and it says that the marriage took place in Edinburgh. 

I don't currently have a FindMyPast sub, but they have a seaman's record for an Alex MacDougald born 1828 in Lochgilphead.  It's possible to just buy some credits at FindMyPast rather than take out a sub. 

There's two mariner's records for Alexander MacDougald born 1822 in Lochgilphead.  They may be the same person or two different people.
sorry did you search "Lochgilphead" on FindMyPast as the ones i saw say Tobermory Argyllshire and Jura ?