Author Topic: Such a muddle I'm in now  (Read 5419 times)

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Such a muddle I'm in now
« Reply #36 on: Friday 05 January 18 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the list isobelw.
I have attempted to make a logical response based on experience and gut feeling. Given the information available on line it is very difficult to be precise. For example there are 16 vessels named TEASER or TEAZER listed in the Mercantile Navy List for 1857 yet only two entries in Lloyd's Register for the same year.
I have included the National Archives piece numbers for your records. As always I will do my best to find the information required but make no promises. I should be visiting TNA sometime in February.

GIFFORDS registered in Borrowstownness (Bo'ness) piece number BT98/4387
NORVAL, Montrose, BT98/4626
SUSAN, Montrose, BT98/4626
MARY AND LOUISE No records found.
BELLE, Dundee, BT98/4435
HERMES, Dundee, BT98/4436
RUD, No records, probably foreign flagged.
CHALLENGER, Kingston, This port is not recognised by TNA catalogue. Possibly Kingston on Hull. BT98/4492.
ARICA, Whitby, BT98/4727
JONGE GERRIT, probably, foreign.
TEASER, Ipswich, BT98/4501
CREZIENA, Probably foreign.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline manda_mcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 05 January 18 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks seaweed appreciate ur time
MCDOUGALL (Glasgow and Glassary, Argyllshire), SINCLAIR (Lanarkshire), CAMPBELL (Aberdeen, Ayr and Gorbals), DOLAN (Greenock), RUSH, BELL, COUSIN(S), PATERSON, KERR, DEARIE, KENNY, GORMLEY, (mostly from Ireland to Glasgow) GILLIES (Glassary & Lochgilphead) McFIE or MCPHEE,

Offline manda_mcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 11 January 18 21:22 GMT (UK) »
IF the ticket number 100043 does belong to my Alexander MCDOUGALL and my transcription
from his service history is right (found with his mates cert) he would have been master of the
Duke of Northumberland when she was sunk after a collision with the S.S Thistle  reported on
17 May 1858 Her owners pursued £2,100 from the owners of the Thistle and case went before
Lord Justice Clerk 30 March 1859 where both parties were found to be at fault and that the owners of the Thistle should pay half of said amount.
Names of crew or master were not mentioned and i am wondering if this would have impacted his life at sea as a ships master ? Seaweed mentioned this ticket was  still active until 1863 i think can anyone shed light on the protocol for such an instance then?

Ship              Port           Rank           From          To          Yrs   Mnths
Hercules [Str]   Glasgow   Hand      Oct 18   Nov 1847   2   -
Conqueror [Str]   Glasgow   Hand           Nov 10   Dec 1848   -   10
Glasgow [Str]   Glasgow   Pilot           Dec 12   Dec 1851   3   -
Gulloin [Str]   Glasgow   Pilot           Dec 16      Dec 1853   2   -
Laniels [Str]   Glasgow   2nd Mate   Jan 14   Jan 1854   -   6
Strike [Str]   Glasgow   2nd Mate   July 15   Ap 1855   -   9
Elk [Str]           Glasgow   2nd Mate   Apr 18   Aug 1856   1   5
Almrod [Str]   Glasgow   Master   Aug 22   Feb 1857      4
Duke of [Str]   Glasgow   Master.   Ang 13   Aug 1857   0   6
Nrthumbrlnd
MCDOUGALL (Glasgow and Glassary, Argyllshire), SINCLAIR (Lanarkshire), CAMPBELL (Aberdeen, Ayr and Gorbals), DOLAN (Greenock), RUSH, BELL, COUSIN(S), PATERSON, KERR, DEARIE, KENNY, GORMLEY, (mostly from Ireland to Glasgow) GILLIES (Glassary & Lochgilphead) McFIE or MCPHEE,

Offline manda_mcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 08 February 18 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Rather than start a new thread i thought it better to add here , Alexanders wife Anne or Agnes McFie is still quite a mystery all i know is of their  marriage and as stated she was  residing in Barony at the time of their marriage (May 1845) No info for her parents  anyone suggest where or how i can proceed? thanks Ax

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 08 February 18 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello again

It looks as though Agnes may well have died before 1855 and so there may not be a death reg. for her.

I would go back and look at the discussion on page 3 of the thread and try to find out as much as I could about her potential sister Margaret McGuire(McPhee).

Death for Margaret McGuire(McPhee) in Govan 1884 age 66. Hopefully her death. cert would name her parents.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline manda_mcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 09 February 18 02:12 GMT (UK) »
Milmoor thanks again i am unable to purchase the full extract today but will do so next week i did however find Margaret McPhee born Glassary 1817 to John McPhee and Margaret Blair, Also  for Agnes McPhie b 1825 to John McPhie and Margaret Blair in Glassary this does seem to fit but i will need to have another look tomorrow after a nights sleep this also suggests a third daughter Mary McPhee but will confirm also x

Offline manda_mcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 12 February 18 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Milmoor I now have Ann McPhie wife of Alexander McDougall

Parents John McPhie married Margaret Blair had 4 daughters i know of
Mary mcphie      b 12 May  1816 Glassary Argyllshire
Margaret McPhie b 29 August 1817 Glassary Argyllshire
Isobel McPhie     b 20  March 1821  Glassary Argyllshire
Ann McPhie        b 2 January 1825  Glassary Argyllshire