Author Topic: BOOK HUNT - "The monumental inscriptions in St Mary's Church, Andover"  (Read 1287 times)

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
BOOK HUNT - "The monumental inscriptions in St Mary's Church, Andover"
« on: Saturday 30 December 17 23:55 GMT (UK) »
"The monumental inscriptions in St Mary's Church, Andover, Hampshire recorded in 1819 by William Hensley" by William Hensley / edited with notes by Martin Coppen, Maryacre Publishing, 2016

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this book/booklet.  I can't seem to actually find it on sale anywhere  ???  There is a copy at Andover library but it would cost me more in petrol to drive there & back than its likely to cost.  From a newspaper article I can see one of Martin Coppen's other books is sold through Andover Museum but they have no catalogue for what the shop actually has that I can see... but I can always try ringing the museum when its actually open of course.

I hoping to find some of my Norris family from 1700s had a memorial, they were in Andover there from early 1600s until my direct line left in 1780s but quite a few cousins still there in 1800s.

Thanks in advance for any pointers... or if anyone actually has copy and wouldn't mind doing a quick lookup (hint, hint..)  ;)

Norris / Andover, Poplar, Canning Town, Stratford
Hughes, Cooper, New  / Berkshire
Waugh, Lisle, Davison, Mole, Luke, Dodd / Northumberland
Walton / Cumberland, County Durham, Northumberland
Littlefair / County Durham, Northumberland
Morcumb, Pedler, Warne, Whitford, Arthur, Warmington, Sleap, Docton,Couche / Cornwall
Ross / Middlesex, Hertfordshire
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BOOK HUNT - "The monumental inscriptions in St Mary's Church, Andover"
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 December 17 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Can your local library get the copy on loan from the Andover library?  ???

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 December 17 10:28 GMT (UK) »
I can't find a second hand copy on the usual websites.

Matthew's suggestion of borrowing it through inter library loan via your local library is good. There is a charge for this service.

It might be worth sending an email to Andover Library to see if they will do a look up for you.  I have found them very helpful in the past.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 December 17 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks matthewj64 & bearkat - I think if I'm reading the Hampshire Libraries catalogue right the booklet is a LOAN item (rather than reference collection only).  This is link to entry for the book:

https://hampshire.spydus.co.uk/cgi-bin/spydus.exe/ENQ/OPAC/BIBENQ?BRN=2411035

I did try all the usual book sites with no joy.  "Maryacre Publishing" doesn't seem to be an actual entity.  I did find there is one other very interesting looking booklet by the same author on the history of the original medieval church of St Mary at Andover that was torn down in 1840 to make way for the current one (all my direct line is before that).  That one I can easily get an ebook edition of :)  Think I will also try ringing the Andover Museum to see if they have a copy in their shop and can post it.
Morcumb, Pedler, Warne, Whitford, Arthur, Warmington, Sleap, Docton,Couche / Cornwall
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 January 18 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick update.  I contacted the Andover Museum and they put me in touch with booklet's author who has some copies of what was a limited print run.  Lovely chap, he actually took the time to look up my family name within it before I bought a copy but found none in there  ::)  A dead end then, but worth the effort to close off the search for any headstones from that period.
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire