Author Topic: Warrior's Crown  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Warrior's Crown
« on: Sunday 31 December 17 01:37 GMT (UK) »
On the headstone for Harry PARSONS [1846 - 1923] and Eliza PARSONS nee DALE [1854 - 1935] as attached is the term "Warrior's Crown".

It seems there is an internet based game called Warrior's Crown but otherwise I am drawing a blank to understand the significance of the term to those interred.

I imagine the term has to be linked to Henry & Eliza's life and to be known to their children for the term to be used.

Henry & Eliza were pioneers of the Nanango and Dalby districts [Queensland, Australia].  Henry arrived in 1865 as an 18 year old on board the Flying Cloud.  Eliza was a 1 year old when she and her sister and parents [William DALE & Mary SHELTON] arrived on board the John Davis 10 years earlier in 1855.  Eliza arrived before the Colony of Queensland was formed with the Queensland Separation Day [the day Queensland became a separate entity to New South Wales] recognised as 10 Dec 1859.

Henry and Eliza and their descendants were/are involved with the Salvation Army.  Henry died as a 76 year old from injuries received when thrown from a sulky. Eliza died some 11 years later as an 81 year old.  Henry and Elizas remains are interred in the cemetery at Nanango, Queensland, Australia.

A memorial exists to Henry. 

The newspaper of the day noted " GATTON. Henry Parsons Memorial.-A large gathering of members of the local Salvation Army Corps, and of subscribers towards the erection of the Army Memorial Cottage, assembled on May 31 to witness the unveiling of the memorial tablets, on the completion of the building. Ensign Smythe, in his introductory remarks, explained that the building had been completed, free from debt, as the result of generous contributions from the comrades of the late Mr. Parsons, and from all classes of the general public as a tribute to the sterling qualities of their deceased treasurer. Mr. J. A. Leo, Chairman of the Nanango Shire Council, performed the unveiling ceremony."

The Brisbane Courier (Qld. : 1864 - 1933), Monday 9 June 1924

Any ideas as to the meaning of Warrior's Crown?

Westy

edit - pasted also to http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=784825.new#new

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
Re: Warrior's Crown
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 December 17 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Westy11
I just put Warriors Crown Salvation Army into Google.
Here is the link, hope it helps.
https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=warrior%27s+crown+salvation+army&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiu0-jblLPYAhUMU7wKHQDnBLMQsAQIMQ&biw=1366&bih=637

Regards Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 December 17 06:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Carol,

Truly some days I amuse and despair for me ::)

I had all the bits and didn't put them together.

Thanks so much.

Westy

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 December 17 06:23 GMT (UK) »

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile