Author Topic: Unidentified country house  (Read 26479 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unidentified country house
« Reply #18 on: Monday 01 January 18 21:46 GMT (UK) »
The nearest I can find is Bawdeswell Hall - but I don't think that is it.

Regards
Roger

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 01 January 18 21:55 GMT (UK) »
I spotted that one too! The online photos appear to be the front of the house, the photo with the lady and the horse could be the back of the same house, but I can't find a photo to confirm/deny it.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 01 January 18 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Here's a guide to South East England beaches with maps and photographs [unfortunately just one photo per beach].  Still, you might be able to narrow it down and then look for historical photos of the beaches which look like possibilities.

https://www.thebeachguide.co.uk/south-east-england/
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline BrazilianBombshell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 01 January 18 22:26 GMT (UK) »
I thought perhaps Athelhampton House in Dorset, or even Rhinefield House in the New Forest, but couldn't quite match it up.
Davies - Brazil
Pooley - London
Preston- Lincoln
Martyn - Lincoln
Cannon - Lincoln
Griffin - Dorset
Poore - Dorset
Dickinson - Leicester & Dorset

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 01 January 18 22:51 GMT (UK) »
In the picture of the man on his horse and dog outside a building there are three tubs / buckets at ground level marked with the letters "HTM". Could these indicate the name of the estate (perhaps "Higher T.... Manor", or similar) or the initials of the owner ?

Incidentally, in the wedding photo, neither the bride nor the bridesmaids look exactly happy, do they ? :(
Maec
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 01 January 18 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Noytd, I am so excited to see these photos.  :) I can't help with the location, but the photos are amazing and a delight to see! You are so lucky to have the album.

I will do some digging and see if I can come up with anything.

I am loathe to suggest this, as it probably won't reveal anything, and I wouldn't fiddle with something so precious. These are obviously candid snaps and not professional ones which would have an identifiable stamp on the back ....., but, if any of them are a bit loose on the page, maybe you could try to have a peek behind just in case?  :-\ I would guess that the wedding photo might be the most likely to have writing on the back, but I could be waaaaay wrong with that thought.  ;)

Have you found all of your families in the 1911 census? I am wondering if any of their addresses give any clues, maybe along the lines of "Posh" House for example?  :)

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 01 January 18 23:05 GMT (UK) »
It might be worth your while to set up a page with the photos and email the Chief Librarians in selected counties and ask them to forward it to all their libraries. Local knowledge is what will solve this. You just have to hit the right locality.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline noytd

• RootsChat Member
  • Alfred Jenkins (1882-1956)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for all the efforts and responses  :)

I am fortunate that my late grandmother was interested in genealogy. She collected a mass of photos, albums, documents etc. Frustratingly she obviously knew who was in the albums but did not label any of them. I have managed to identify near enough all of them ... this one, however, remains a stubborn mystery.

The main candidates have been the Parsons family and Skyrme family, both of Hastings. But these have now been ruled out due to them being identified in other photos and not matching to the people in this album.

The album also includes a fox hunting meet, with one image identified as being taken in St. Albans. This brought forward Vice Admiral John Edric Blaxland as a candidate as he briefly lived in Harpenden during the early 1900s. However, there are no references to the Royal Navy in the album and he had no links to the Hastings area.

As has been suggested, I probably will have to write out a list of family members from the 1911 census and cross reference them in the hope that they actually were at that unidentified country house at that time. Of course the property might have been rented. Another possible candidate is the Wigan family who were hop merchants in London. I have identified photographs of the mainline of the family, but not of the younger siblings - big families with numerous offshoots. They were linked to numerous large houses.

Surprisingly the album contains absolutely no loose photographs at all. Every photo is still firmly glued to the pages. Unfortunately any potential secrets on the back shall remain hidden.

I will attach a photo of the St Albans hunt, and also two other photos. Most of the album is made up of such garden scenes. I looked to the lawn mower for clues, but it was a commonly produced brand. The woman is holding a copy of the Bystander, but again not much of a clue.

The St Albans photo is intriguing. The family obviously enjoyed hunting (guns clearly on show at the house) and riding. But compared to the identified locations St Albans seems a bit out of the way. There are several pictures of this hunt making its way through the countryside.

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi
What amazing photos

Definitely would benefit from some local knowledge.

How about posting some links to this topic in a couple of weeks he most likely counties?

Certainly local studies libraries can be amazing too

Certainly have a style of hoss we have connections to in Hastings Hampshire or Hertfordshire and very flat and mild so coastal?  I did look at loads on Google images but no joy

Good luck and Best wishes

Emms :)
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas