Author Topic: Unidentified country house  (Read 26627 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Unidentified country house
« Reply #99 on: Monday 08 January 18 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Quite a lot of terracing near the front of Hinton House ... which is not evident in the OP's photos. In the photo of the garden the lawns look very flat.

I agree Ruskie, I can't accept it's the same house.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Monday 08 January 18 09:52 GMT (UK) »
It might not help with the main house with the octagonal bays, other than perhaps being in the same general location, but I've been wondering about the stable yard (?) in reply #13 (http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=784838.msg6399046#msg6399046) and the buckets marked HTM.

I think it might be a bit demeaning for a landed gentleman to have his initials on a bucket, but could they be the name of the house? Something Manor, perhaps?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Monday 08 January 18 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Trouble is there are so many demolished country houses possibly without any pictorial record remaining.

The Death Duties Act 1911 was supposed to do away with them. I don't know the detail but there were relief laws later. Open it to the Public and occupy a small portion of the property, that sort of thing. Then there was English Heritage and the National Trust that tried to preserve as many as possible but I think that was post WWII. Also some bought as hotels or care homes etc.

I remember The Old House at Wexham, Bucks. The old gentleman who owned it died in the mid 1950'sish and it was demolished and modern luxury flats were built on the site. Great pity, probably 17th Century, panelled rooms and a priest hole. The grounds are still recognisable, but that's all. There was a son or grandson with two sons but they couldn't afford to keep it.

Another one was Hedgerley Park, Bucks. Demolished c1938 after death of Mrs Henry Stevenson, RHA. Site was quarried for a short while. It's all overgrown now, but noble trees and exotic bushes evidence it's former glory. There are a few prints of the house extant.   

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline jamie300

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Monday 08 January 18 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately it would be impossible to see the reverse of the images, they have been glued into the album.

You could try shining a bright light from behind. I just tried using my iphone torch behind an Edwardian postcard and was able to read the fountain pen writing on the back.

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Monday 08 January 18 19:22 GMT (UK) »
I can't find a date for this photo but it looks early. Hinton house and gardens, Hinton Ampner. ::)
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline noytd

• RootsChat Member
  • Alfred Jenkins (1882-1956)
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Monday 08 January 18 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately it would be impossible to see the reverse of the images, they have been glued into the album.

You could try shining a bright light from behind. I just tried using my iphone torch behind an Edwardian postcard and was able to read the fountain pen writing on the back.

Unfortunately the pages are made of a thick card  :(

Although this must be good in a way, as the photos and pages have survived in very good condition. I have other albums that were undoubtedly cheaper from contemporary times to this album that have not survived so well.

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline Mike in Cumbria